Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diy fade haircut.

• 23-05-2021 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭

I have seen a good few DIY fade haircut videos on youtube, guys usually using 3 mirrors to fade their own hair. They make it look easy but is it worth it to go the DIY route or would you be better off leaving it to a barber.

I think it would be really handy to be able to do it myself, I don't have the time usually to drive to the barbers and get a haircut, my barber didn't even answer me or ring me back last week when I rang him. I haven't got the mirrors but gave myself a fairly decent fade with the help of a family member.

I used to cut friends and neighbours hair for years so have a bit of experience cutting hair but I will only go the DIY route if I can get it very close to what a barber can do or what one of these youtube guys can do, the youtube guys are mostly amateur barbers.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cutting your own hair is not that easy. If you had someone that could do it for you and you could reciprocate that would be better.

I am wondering will everyone actually go back to barbers now? I am sure some will but I would guess a large amount of people who bought their own clippers won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Cutting your own hair is not that easy. If you had someone that could do it for you and you could reciprocate that would be better.

I am wondering will everyone actually go back to barbers now? I am sure some will but I would guess a large amount of people who bought their own clippers won't.

I used to do it that way but I would like total independence when it comes to cutting my hair.

Id say a lot of people are done with barbers alright, especially as some claimed the pup and continued to work on the sly and some of them have drove their prices up since the pandemic started.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Not sure what your definition of a fade is. A skin fade or a basic short back and sides? A basic short back and sides is pretty easy.
    I use a mirror on the door of the ensuite combined with the mirror in the ensuite. The layout of the ensuite makes this possible. You could look into making a 3 way self cut mirror. I've seen tutorials on YouTube it looks pretty easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've been doing it myself since March last year. Previously I'd get a blade 2.5 on the back and side and a scissors cut on top but I've been mostly doing OK.

Sides, top and front is easy enough. The back can be a bit trickier, particularly the upper sides but what I find works is to go down a guide for the back.

Mine is in MM so I use 7-9mm guide with a 2.0/2.5 setting on the trimmer for the sides and a 4-6mm with the same 2.0/2.5 for the back and it seems to mostly even out. The top I use the 16-18mm guide with yes, the same 2.0/2.5 and it's done the job so far. Just tidy things up again then every fortnight.

Take your time, get a handheld mirror you can use in front of your main mirror and remember it'll grow back either way :) Start with the upper guides and work down till you're happy would be my advice.

May not go back to a barber either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    A skin fade or a basic short back and sides?

No, not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If any use, I went with these:

Trimmer

Mirror

Advertisement