Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renew Irish driving licence "outside eu"

Options
  • 23-05-2021 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

So my license expires in a couple of months and I'm in in the UK. Technically I should change to a UK licence as I am resident here. Before January I couldn't have a UK and Ireland licence as only one EU licence allowed. Anyone any idea how it works now as that particular issue is gone since England left the EU. They will convert an Irish to UK licence here. But can I then also renew my Irish licence??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your Irish licence will be cancelled when you swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

And then if I just apply for a replacement in Ireland, can that not be done?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, it will have been cancelled on the NDLS system when the DVLA verified the Irish licence was valid.

You would have to give the UK licence to the NDLS for cancellation to get an Irish licence back. You will only be able to have one licence unless you do the full training procedure in the UK from the start - if that's now allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

L1011 wrote: »
    No, it will have been cancelled on the NDLS system when the DVLA verified the Irish licence was valid.

You would have to give the UK licence to the NDLS for cancellation to get an Irish licence back. You will only be able to have one licence unless you do the full training procedure in the UK from the start - if that's now allowed.

Auch..... Well I don't want to do that.... Looks like I will have to take a UK licence...

Advertisement