Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"There is no Planet B"

Options
  • 22-05-2021 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭

This was a popular catch phrase a few years back but it got me wondering what if there was a Planet B. An empty planet with just vegetation and maybe some alien animals and a big ocean, lurking within reach. Nobody has been to it yet only visited by a few rovers to confirm it is indeed habitable and has a breathable atmosphere.

If you were charged with filling the first massive spaceship with a thousand or so people to colonise the Planet B who would you take? what would be your selection criteria? The journey will take many years, perhaps be one way and might involve being put to sleep or frozen.

Few things to consider:
    -There will be more spaceships following perhaps spaced a few years apart so if you bring a thousand eunuchs it won't have a massive impact on the success of the colony

-You have to live with these people for the rest of your days so no penile colony fantasies

-Stuff will need to be built and food will have to be grown on the planet so if you take a bunch of violinists with no other skills you will go hungry once the rations run out

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Anyone who would go would have to be young extremely physically fit mentally strong skilled and 100% committed. That would exclude the majority of humanity and rightly so because the majority of humanity simply would be incapable of adapting and living in brutal conditions and never returning home. Nobody who went would be allowed to be a burden. So a ton of Olympic athletes or special forces types with genius level IQs would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If Hollywood has learned me anything

One headcase will get passed the interviews and get onto the ship and start slowly killing everyone before it arrives on Plan B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Humans should just stay where they are...instead of coming over 'ere, taking our jobs and women...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

We could try terraforming Offaly.

-There will be more spaceships following perhaps spaced a few years apart so if you bring a thousand eunuchs it won't have a massive impact on the success of the colony
    Ah crap. How am I gonna break this to the eunuchs?

In some ways, we have been here before. The discovery of the Americas is a useful reference-point, being as it was the equivalent to finding a new planet.
    Any existing life that can be suppressed, would be, and very soon the new planet would be crawling with fast-food restaurants and payday lenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Disnae matter where the fuck we go our problems will follow us there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

One headcase will get passed the interviews and get onto the ship and start slowly killing everyone before it arrives on Plan B

Its Planet B , Sept planet B.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I think all the tree-huggers and naive liberals should go. Start their *brave* new world. Feck, I'd pay more taxes to help ship them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Clearly just need Matt Damon...he has a proven track

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

P A S S E N G E R S - 2016

Sarring Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt & Michael Sheen.

For anybody who hasn't watched this film, I would highly recommend it, specially if you want to settle down on another planet far far away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

no penile colony fantasies
    Do you mean "no penal colony fantasies"? 'cos if you have a colony on your penile, you should see a doctor.

For anybody who hasn't watched this film, I would highly recommend it, specially if you want to settle down on another planet far far away :)
    Pffff, Pandorum (2009) was a much better story, made with a third of the budget. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1188729/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I'd be more worried about the onboard computer...

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭GSBellew

We are already on Planet B, Mars was Planet A but we ****ed that one up, a vast group of settlers were bred devoid of technological knowledge, dispatched to earth, the pyramids were the landing sites, our ancestors left us, as primitive beings in the belief that we couldn't possibly make the same mistakes devoid of the knowledge, rinse repeat, bring on Planet C, or is it Planet Z, who knows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We could try terraforming Offaly.
    How do you propose to make it habitable by humans ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nope. Nope. Nope.

With a small of editing it's a horror movie from her point of view.

If he didn't wake her, he could have spent the rest of the trip in the medical pod and she wouldn't have to die.

How do you propose to make it habitable by humans ?

We managed it with Leitrim.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Danno wrote: »
    I think all the tree-huggers and naive liberals should go. Start their *brave* new world. Feck, I'd pay more taxes to help ship them out.

Sounds good, maybe at the same time we can fill a rocket with all the climate denier nuts and fire it into the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sounds good, maybe at the same time we can fill a rocket with all the climate denier nuts and fire it into the sun

Is that eco-friendly though?

All Eyes On Rafah

Flat earthers should have berth on that rocket too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hm not the most eco-friendly way alright, but it doesn't have to be a very good rocket, we can skimp on some of the fuel and materials. Make most of the structure out of hemp perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

We should send Ryan tubridy, vogue and a few more of our celebrities

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Nope. Nope. Nope.

With a small of editing it's a horror movie from her point of view.

If he didn't wake her, he could have spent the rest of the trip in the medical pod and she wouldn't have to die.
    But she and everyone one else would have died because of the catastrophic failures on the ship that caused him to wake in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭denismc

kevthegaff wrote: »
    We should send Ryan tubridy, vogue and a few more of our celebrities

The atmosphere on Mars is already bad enough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Put a crew of Mormons on board

Although would they figure out having a single messiah in the entire universe born in a pre technological age is a pretty inefficient way of spreading the Gospel? Even at light speed it would take a thousand generations at least reach the nearest planet with intelligent life.

But she and everyone one else would have died because of the catastrophic failures on the ship that caused him to wake in the first place
    More of the crew could have been woken up.

Put a crew of Mormons on board
    And 144,000 Jehovah's Witnesses'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

More of the crew could have been woken up.
    Or no one wakes up, I guess we will never know:)

With today's technology we could simply drop Ark B into an active volcano.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

With today's technology we could simply drop Ark B into an active volcano.

Hmmm. Would we not need more than Ark B? Maybe Ark B could 'empty' over said volcano, return and repeat the process.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Sounds harsh, but if the reality is that we need a crew that is highly trained, skilled and also expendable it's hard to look beyond various militaries to fill most positions.

Advertisement