Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal issues

Options
  • 22-05-2021 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I have a few legal issues I need help with but, I'm unemployed and on a disability allowance :eek: Is there any free legal aid/help I can get :confused: I have a problem with a relative (older brother of my father) trying to take over all bills in my household since my brother passed away from lung and brain cancer who use to sort out all of the bills. My father is suffering at the moment, going through the early stages of dementia and basically this relative wants to be in sole control over his financial affairs. When my father insists he does not want him to be in control of it all. He wants me being the only son left to look after his financial affairs and is worried about making a will. That his brother will take over control of his house and bank accounts. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I fortunately have no idea, but I found this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

There's Free Legal Aid , but because it's a charity you might be waiting https://www.flac.ie/

Also ask advice off Age Action Ireland by contacting them, if he's open to financial abuse https://www.ageaction.ie/news/2019/11/26/safeguarding-against-financial-abuse

Talk to your father about what he wants ASAP tell him your concerns, Ideally he shouldn't be leaving it to you to sort out, so he should be contacting a solicitor about his will etc.

Don't leave it too long, and definitely don't let the uncle get anything relating to your father's affairs in his name, unless your father trusts him and wants it.

Find out where his bank details/post office book/pension book/deeds of house are kept and secure them , but you'll need to be sure that's something you father wants, he might be afraid of having his independence taken away from him too.

Speak to your local GP about enduring power of attorney , if your father is relatively clear about you being in control then he could have him assessed. He might be of sound-mind enough to give you future control and write a will.

Think ahead to 5-10 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

STEE wrote: »
    I have a few legal issues I need help with but, I'm unemployed and on a disability allowance :eek: Is there any free legal aid/help I can get :confused: I have a problem with a relative (older brother of my father) trying to take over all bills in my household since my brother passed away from lung and brain cancer who use to sort out all of the bills. My father is suffering at the moment, going through the early stages of dementia and basically this relative wants to be in sole control over his financial affairs. When my father insists he does not want him to be in control of it all. He wants me being the only son left to look after his financial affairs and is worried about making a will. That his brother will take over control of his house and bank accounts. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

If he is in the early stages of dementia you need to arrange an enduring power of attorney NOW before it is too late. You might think it is expensive (it cost us about 2K) but it is much cheaper than the alternative. you do not want the alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

STEE wrote: »
    First, change the locks on your father's house, with his permission of course. Lots of help out there. Hope you have gotten some.

Advertisement