Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engine malfunction

• 22-05-2021 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 2010 Ford Focus, not entirely sure on the "spec" It's 1.6 diesel TDCI I think. It keeps flashing up with "engine malfunction" then you lose power and can just about crawl to the side of the road. Give it a few mins and it starts again. It can go for days without doing it, then do it 3 times in 20 mins!

The lad in the garage hooked it on to the computer and said nothing about engine malfunction was coming up. He did say there was/ is a power steering issue on it. Also that to get rid of the vibrations out of it about €400/€500 worth of work needs to be done to it. Re balancing it and some other stuff.

He said he is going to price kits and not to make any hasty decisions. I'd put the money into it, if I could fix the engine malfunction bit. It's prob not worth much, millage is super high and it's 11 yrs old now. I only need it for short trips maybe 2 times a week, I can't afford a new car but I also don't want to throw a whole load of money at a car that still wont work! I might be better off just getting whatever I could for it online and buying a cheap but reliable little run around if there is such a thing!!

Any idea's/ advice much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

Hi,

I have a 2010 Ford Focus, not entirely sure on the "spec" It's 1.6 diesel TDCI I think. It keeps flashing up with "engine malfunction" then you lose power and can just about crawl to the side of the road. Give it a few mins and it starts again. It can go for days without doing it, then do it 3 times in 20 mins!

The lad in the garage hooked it on to the computer and said nothing about engine malfunction was coming up. He did say there was/ is a power steering issue on it. Also that to get rid of the vibrations out of it about €400/€500 worth of work needs to be done to it. Re balancing it and some other stuff.

He said he is going to price kits and not to make any hasty decisions. I'd put the money into it, if I could fix the engine malfunction bit. It's prob not worth much, millage is super high and it's 11 yrs old now. I only need it for short trips maybe 2 times a week, I can't afford a new car but I also don't want to throw a whole load of money at a car that still wont work! I might be better off just getting whatever I could for it online and buying a cheap but reliable little run around if there is such a thing!!

Any idea's/ advice much appreciated :D

We Had A 2012 1.6 Tdci(95)
    One Night Coming Home From Work that Engine Malfunction Please service Came on & The Engine Went Into Limp mode.
    I Changed The Diesel Fuel Filter And That Cured it.
    Id try That First as it's Not Too Expensive to Do.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

Check out the instrument cluster, very common problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

You need to plug it in while the engine malfunction is displayed.

There is 2 pipes coming off the diesel particle filter on the front of the engine. They run over the top of the gearbox to a sensor near the battery. My first port of call would be to check if these are damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭heretothere

Me again. We figured out the problem it's the dash there is a loose connection or something. We bought a replacement one online. But it needs to be configured or something by a mechanic. Any way sick of it now so up for sale it went! Disclosure of the issue.

Two lads came to see it. Said it doesn't even need the spare dash he could fix it. Had it up for €2200 not expecting that. We before your man came €1,800 straight deal no more haggling. He offered €1,600 and would not budge.

Am I looking for too much with it? In no rush and not suck for the space. But it's obv getting older

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

Me again. We figured out the problem it's the dash there is a loose connection or something. We bought a replacement one online. But it needs to be configured or something by a mechanic. Any way sick of it now so up for sale it went! Disclosure of the issue.

Two lads came to see it. Said it doesn't even need the spare dash he could fix it. Had it up for €2200 not expecting that. We before your man came €1,800 straight deal no more haggling. He offered €1,600 and would not budge.

Am I looking for too much with it? In no rush and not suck for the space. But it's obv getting older

Thanks

Depends on miles, condition, tyres, nct, tax etc. Selling a fixed car is easier that a broken one. Either get the new cluster programmed in or just have the old cluster fixed, its not too hard a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭heretothere

mk7r wrote: »
    Depends on miles, condition, tyres, nct, tax etc. Selling a fixed car is easier that a broken one. Either get the new cluster programmed in or just have the old cluster fixed, its not too hard a job.

It would be for me I'd def have to pay a mechanic. Miles are high but over all the car is in good. Yes its 11yrs old but in the last few years it has been well maintained with regular services and quickly replacing anything. Before it broke I had a mechanic tell me I'd probably get over 3k for it. The engine was " very tidy".

Ya tax and nct but only for a few months.

Not sure why we have to obsessed with miles here. In Australia I think my car had near 400k miles not KMs. Now to be fair anything outside coastal areas can involve lots of driving. Ah I'll refresh the ad again. If you could fix it yourself itd be a great car for someone starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Any garage will charge 70 or 80 per hour. 1600 in your hand is better than a potential 1800-cost to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Short trips in a diesel also can flag issues.

Advertisement