Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debts of a deceased person

Options
  • 22-05-2021 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

can anybody tell me if an executor is obliged to divulge what debts a deceased person had to named beneficiaries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

As far as I'm aware there is no such requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭dennyk

If you are a residual beneficiary under a will or the Rules of Intestacy (i.e. you are entitled to inherit some specified portion of the estate's total residual value, as opposed to only receiving a specific fixed sum or some specific tangible asset), I believe you do have the right to review the estate's accounts after the estate administration or execution is complete. These accounts should show you what has happened to the assets of the estate in reasonable detail, assuming the administrator or executor has done their job properly. Exactly how much detail they'd give about specific debts might vary, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Redsquigy

Probate has not yet processed as one beneficiary is refusing to give specific information and wants to see all assets and debts. Even demanded to see the will.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Redsquigy wrote: »
    Probate has not yet processed as one beneficiary is refusing to give specific information and wants to see all assets and debts. Even demanded to see the will.

What 'specific information' are they refusing to give? If they're refusing to give their PPSN number, tell them you're going to give their name & address to Revenue anyway.

If I was the executor, I'd leave their bequest sitting in the executor account and wait for them to co-operate.

If the person has a problem, tell them to take it up with the local probate office. The executor is not answerable to individual beneficiaries and doesn't have to disclose this data while probate is in progress.

Advertisement