Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car rental insurance issue for US licence holder

Options
  • 22-05-2021 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My sister comes home from the States generally 2 -3 times a year and needs a rental car.

Problem is they insist on charging insurance which my sister has already and hence almost doubles her costs. They seem extraodinarily insistent on applying this extra cost which I assume they can and deny her the rental.

Any ideas on what company would facilitate her needs especially when as I say she would use the company 2-3 times a year - loyalty wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks

Mods please move to relevant thread if not here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭con747

The costs being charged for insurance and car rates and duration of rental would help to get some better options here, also age bracket and years holding a full licence.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Enterprise will rent to US licence holders without charging for insurance. The base price already comes with a €2000 deductible if you total the car. I use carhireexcess.ie which brings my deductible to zero for any damage and it's only €5-10 per day or €99 for the year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Seems to me she needs to try a different rental agency. I've never had an issue with my US insurance renting anywhere in the world. I normally use Hertz, but Enterprise and Avis are also not uncommon for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You mean she has car hire insurance via her credit card. Some companies take it some don't. Hertz let me user mine before, but charged me a "waiver fee". My card is a UK based one

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seaninbayarea

I’m in the same situation. I bring a letter (electronic copy) from my credit card company specifically stating that Ireland is not excluded from the coverage they provide. I always rent from Sixt. I’ve never had to pay insurance. I’m pretty sure they put a hold on my credit card but it has never been charged. Haven’t been back since COVID so maybe it has changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Sounds like she is talking about excess insurance which some US credit cards will cover but the have a tendency to exclude Ireland. It's nothing to do with the rental companies. Your sister can always rent but decline the excess as long as her credit card can handle the charge but risks a large deductible if she damages the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I use carhireexcess.ie which brings my deductible to zero for any damage and it's only €5-10 per day or €99 for the year.

That may be for coverage which includes the US. For rental in Europe (which typically includes several other countries e.g. Morocco & Turkey), you shouldn’t be paying more than €50 p.a. for excess cover.

AIG currently quoting €49.99

Advertisement