Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge ground prep

Options
  • 21-05-2021 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭

Bearing in mind , no green fingers at all

So having a new driveway installed, leaving space for a ten meter long hedge to boarder the public pathway, this space is currently grassed, what’s the best way to prepare the ground, should I kill off the grass first?

Any recommendations for any particular hedge, only plan to let it grow to maybe 5 feet or so & easy maintenance is a must

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Bearing in mind , no green fingers at all

So having a new driveway installed, leaving space for a ten meter long hedge to boarder the public pathway, this space is currently grassed, what’s the best way to prepare the ground, should I kill off the grass first?

Any recommendations for any particular hedge, only plan to let it grow to maybe 5 feet or so & easy maintenance is a must

Thanks

Spray off strip of ground in sept and plant bare roots plants over winter. Just split soil with a spade and push roots in. Take 5/6 yrs to be somewhat decent sized.

Hornbeam or privet maybe. All depends what you like really. Future forest or hedging.ie have good website to see different examples.

Larger more mature or potted plants will cost more than bare root but provides impact sooner

Just on weeds... woodchip or membrane with gravel first day will save you a lot of weeding. I got caught out on that front and still paying for it

Advertisement