Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reset on an Xbox X

Options
  • 21-05-2021 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how easy/safe this is to do ?

My son has had his X since Christmas and its suddenly becoming very glitchy.

For example GTA V on disk has always been fine, but in the last two weeks it freezes, kicks him out or just lags. Disk is fine and wifi is fine - direct connection that I've tested.

Minecraft is a download on the Xbox and similar behaviour.

few other downloads doing similar. Hoping its not a hardware fault, so wondering if a reset is worth a go

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

First thing I'd do is hold down the power button for ten seconds while it's on. It'll do a proper restart, as just turning it off just suspends it.

This is called a hard reset, and can fix many problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

CatInABox wrote: »
    First thing I'd do is hold down the power button for ten seconds while it's on. It'll do a proper restart, as just turning it off just suspends it.

This is called a hard reset, and can fix many problems.

Only if they are using "Instant One" mode though. If you use energy saving mode then it shuts down after each turn off. I never use Instant On unless I am downloading updates and games over night. Then the following day I set it back to Energy Saving mode.

But yes, I proper power cycle would be a good call. And to answer the OPs question. Yes it is perfectly safe to do a factory reset. Everything is stored on the cloud anyway so all your settings etc will just be downloaded again upon a fresh install.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Mine starts giving issues with games when "instant on" is turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You can go into settings>power>fully turn off. (Something like that, you'll find it).

I do it sometimes myself.

Advertisement