Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media raising prices again.

Options
  • 20-05-2021 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

In spite of being the most expensive internet provider in Europe, and being 150% more expensive than Virgin Media in the UK, they are raising prices again. Yes, another 8%.

This is to cover the COMREG judgement forcing them to pay back almost 3 million euros taken illegally from their Irish customer base. 107 000 account holders had their money taken.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/refund/

They take illegally with the one hand => comreg forces repayment, so put up prices and take it again.

At what point does the government stop the likes of Virgin Media pillaging and looting their Irish customer base just becuase they are compliant?

They dont try this on with UK customers because they are cowards. They know it would cause a huge backlash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The government doesn't have to do anything. You can just change providers if you don't like the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hsfhpsz

The government doesn't have to do anything. You can just change providers if you don't like the price.

I cannot change providers because Virgin Media is colluding with SKY to disallow them to provide an alternative service. Dublin 8. I am forced to use their service or have no internet. The communications regulator wont take this up for me. Its a lawless country with zero regulation that doesnt benefit the government. This makes sense coimng from a government that is encouraging Vulture Funds to buy up new build property in the midst of a housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭POBox19

Well am I glad I parted company with them in December.
    Aerial, dish & sim card covers all the basics wifi, smart TV, iPad, iMac and mobile all for €22.98 per month. If push came to shove I could do it all for €9.99 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I'm in Dublin and I can't just change providers because Eir can only provide 'up to 24mb' and it's not enough for my household. I have 500 from Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Craig_David

tina1040 wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin and I can't just change providers because Eir can only provide 'up to 24mb' and it's not enough for my household. I have 500 from Virgin.

Have you considered using a mobile data product?
    I'm going to pick up one of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BN36NMM/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
    And get an unlimited data pre-paid sim card to pop into it for 15/20 euro a month.

I'm at the end of my 12 month contract with Virgin and they didn't incentivise me to stay..
    15 euro off for 6 months. pffff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Have you considered using a mobile data product?
    I'm going to pick up one of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BN36NMM/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
    And get an unlimited data pre-paid sim card to pop into it for 15/20 euro a month.

I'm at the end of my 12 month contract with Virgin and they didn't incentivise me to stay..
    15 euro off for 6 months. pffff

Do this but get an external antennae for 4g and mount it outside nearest the closest cell tower (you can use Comreg for this). Ensure your 4g modem can use an external antennae before buying one.

As for the OP, you don't need 500mbs although it is nice to have. Realistically you can be happy with 50mbps down as you can stream Netflix in 4k, websites load quickly, working from home is ok etc. You would need a bit more if you had multiple concurrent users.

My mother in lawn was paying Digiweb €40 for "broadband" and was getting 3mbps down and 0.3up. I setup the external antennae as described above and she's getting 50mbps down and 50 mbps up for €30 a month.

Three have a 5g plan for €45 a month (24 month contract) which should get you speeds of up to 500mbps. My mobile plan is with Vodafone and I got 480mbps on a speed test the other day.

If you call Virgin Media to cancel you will get a deal - hold firm and don't accept the first offer! You'll be facing same situation next year though so could be worthwhile moving provider. If you do switch to another provider you can available of the new customer offers with VM after a year away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

hsfhpsz wrote: »
    In spite of being the most expensive internet provider in Europe, and being 150% more expensive than Virgin Media in the UK, they are raising prices again. Yes, another 8%.

How much are they here and how much in the Uk? Like for like

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭joficeduns1

Horrible tactic against customers but they're the best of the bunch where I am. Holding out for SIRO which should hopefully be live within 12 months. If people are having success in getting a discount after calling against this price hike let it be known though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How much are they here and how much in the Uk? Like for like

When you do the Stg conversion looks like about the same for 500Mb and 240Mb (though you only get 200Mb in UK).

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/broadband-only

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

This is to cover the COMREG judgement forcing them to pay back almost 3 million euros taken illegally from their Irish customer base. 107 000 account holders had their money taken.

www. virginmedia.ie /refund/

They take illegally with the one hand => comreg forces repayment, so put up prices and take it again.

At what point does the government stop the likes of Virgin Media pillaging and looting their Irish customer base just becuase they are compliant?

Do you remember the fanfare when they arrived in Ireland Richard Branson going on the Late Late promising the world, ther a disgrace, dont answer calls just increase ther prices yearly.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Most Virgin customers have no alternative capable of offering a service that is anywhere near as good and unfortunately Virgin know this very well.

Ours is going up 4 quid a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not one for hyperbole OP. But virgin media broadband prices are.

500mb Broadband package in the UK is 62 sterling pm. Which is 71.64 euro.

500mb package for broadband in Ireland is 72 per month

Am I missing something...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I cannot change providers because Virgin Media is colluding with SKY to disallow them to provide an alternative service. Dublin 8. I am forced to use their service or have no internet. The communications regulator wont take this up for me. Its a lawless country with zero regulation that doesnt benefit the government. This makes sense coimng from a government that is encouraging Vulture Funds to buy up new build property in the midst of a housing crisis.

Where do you get this idea about collusion between Virgin and Sky from? You can get broadband via your phone line. You might as well suggest that Eir and Virgin are colluding in rural areas to prevent Virgin from providing broadband there.

What's the whole zero regulation thing too?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Where do you get this idea about collusion between Virgin and Sky from? You can get broadband via your phone line. You might as well suggest that Eir and Virgin are colluding in rural areas to prevent Virgin from providing broadband there.

What's the whole zero regulation thing too?

If the house is new then probably not, likely doesn't have a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

listermint wrote: »
    Not one for hyperbole OP. But virgin media broadband prices are.

500mb Broadband package in the UK is 62 sterling pm. Which is 71.64 euro.

500mb package for broadband in Ireland is 72 per month

Am I missing something...

So it’s not 150% more expensive as stated in the OP

That would be €180 a month :)

Advertisement