Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i regret doing transition year really bad

Options
  • 20-05-2021 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

aight this is my first post, forgive me if i dont know whats going on, but for some reason i decided to do ty this year. im not even a good candidate for it, i got all As for my jc predicted grade thingy in 2020 and i felt that the break from may 2020 until september was more than adequate.

however, i kinda decided to do ty because i felt i would be too young to go into college, i'd be just about 17 doing my leaving cert if i skipped, and my friend was doing it. sounds ok i guess.

however i found out that once i got into school all of my friends in another school bar 1 or 2 skipped ty, and now i just keep thinking about how i wasted a year, like i cant stop beating myself up about it... the work and stuff is just useless, i didnt learn anything new at all, and i already knew i dont like dossing around...

is there anything i can do or am i just kinda stuck as i am
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

chlum wrote: »
    aight this is my first post, forgive me if i dont know whats going on, but for some reason i decided to do ty this year. im not even a good candidate for it, i got all As for my jc predicted grade thingy in 2020 and i felt that the break from may 2020 until september was more than adequate.

however, i kinda decided to do ty because i felt i would be too young to go into college, i'd be just about 17 doing my leaving cert if i skipped, and my friend was doing it. sounds ok i guess.

however i found out that once i got into school all of my friends in another school bar 1 or 2 skipped ty, and now i just keep thinking about how i wasted a year, like i cant stop beating myself up about it... the work and stuff is just useless, i didnt learn anything new at all, and i already knew i dont like dossing around...

is there anything i can do or am i just kinda stuck as i am
    thanks

It sounds like you made the right choice. College
    At just gone 17 would be no fun at all. You’d be sitting at home while everyone else was out enjoying themselves in first year, and it would be hard to have the full college experience.

While this year wasn’t the most fun for TY, it wasn’t a great one for the pressure of 5th year either. You will hopefully be going into 5th year now with a lockdown free run at the leaving cert course. The year of maturity will make a difference to your results and may help give you clarity on what you want to work towards after school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I agree, sounds like TY was a great choice.

College at 17 is no good.

This was one of the worst years to be a 5th or 6th years student. Classes missed all over the place for busy courses.

You can get notes from your mates who finish a year ahead of you.

It's May. Stop wasting your brain power with regrets. You've got a future to plan. Leaving cert subjects, college courses, jobs etc.

Are you going to posting back here this time next year saying I shouldn't have taken X subject or are you going to pick subjects you're good at and work consistently for the two years?

Learn from the past, don't live in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

TY is a great choice OP.

Plus no point being away from home in college at 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Don’t live your life in the rear view mirror

Onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭893bet

Make TY worth while. Get the most out of it.

And don’t lose sight of the fact that your current circle of friends will not be your circle of friends in two years time in college. Very few people keep in touch with more than 1 or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 CE DCG

I totally agree that it wasn't a great year for TY students, but it wasn't great for any other students either. TYs probably suffered a little more than others due to lack of travel etc. But people need to grow up and deal with what life delivers. None of us expected to be where we are just now. TY is about what you put into it That's the only way to get the best out of it! Chin up, enjoy your summer holidays and look forward to the next two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Don't feel so bad, I wasted 4 full years between 5/6th year and college, wish I dropped out after the JC

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chlum

wow guys thanks for all the replies! i was just on a bit of a downer there and ye all gave me solid advice. i kind of realize as well in 3rd year i was studying way too hard like i even disassembled my pc so i couldnt go on it haha. maybe i did need a break year. i was just especially a bit down there about a week ago cuz my gf skipped ty and i didnt, but sure we dont even go to the same school. besides, like some of you said, leave what's happened behind and focus on the future.

anyway thanks again for the replies, i appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chlum

Are you going to posting back here this time next year saying I shouldn't have taken X subject or are you going to pick subjects you're good at and work consistently for the two years?

Learn from the past, don't live in it.

youre totally correct here, i guess since i dont have much going on in life right now (ill be knuckled down in 5th year) my brain was taken up with these negative regretful thoughts, i just needed to learn to not let my thoughts get the better of me. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP, lots of FOMO here :)
    Fear of missing out:D
    Plough your own furrow out into the horizon that is your future and let the birds follow you, not the other way around

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

All I'll say to you, is that by not enjoying the work, you may have made sure you enjoyed the rest of your life.

One of my daughters was hell-bent on working with children. She loves children, children love her. She did a work placement during TY in a childcare setting and absolutely hated it. If she hadn't hated the work or if she hadn't done the placement, she would have applied to do childcare courses in university. And would only then have worked out that while she liked children, she didn't want to work with them.

There are positives in everything. You just discovered this year that there were a lot of things you didn't like. Which is also a big positive.

And I agree with everyone else, 17 is too young to be in university. By the sounds of things, you really needed the time out.

Advertisement