Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insulation choice

Options
  • 20-05-2021 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

on a new build would it be normal to use 100mm or 150mm insulation in the cavity between two block exterior walls . Is there a big difference between 150 and 100 in terms of insulation vales?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Some context needed here...

Depends on the cavity size
    Depends on location
    Depends on insulation type
    Depends on what the BER / DEAP calculation shows wrt to b.reg compliance
    Etc, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go for the most you possibly can.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Some context needed here...

Depends on the cavity size
    Depends on location
    Depends on insulation type
    Depends on what the BER / DEAP calculation shows wrt to b.reg compliance
    Etc, etc

I meant by cavity the distance between the two sets of blocks. we can have have any gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

I meant by cavity the distance between the two sets of blocks. we can have have any gap.

I know.

Context still needed to try answer op...

...or ask your certifier (arch/eng/ber assessor).

All insulation types are not the same and 100mm of one type can reduce conductive losses better than 150mm of another type. This all assumes, of course that the insulation is installed correctly to begin with. You also have the law of diminishing returns. Only way to know is do Uvalue calcs on the different options.

Keep in mind that insulation is only one part of the puzzle to produce a warm, easy the heat, healthy indoor environment with airtightness and ventilation being just as if not more important in our climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Look at the size of cavities in passive builds. I built ten years ago bonded bead 150mm. If I was building today I would go minimum 200mm. As the others says different types of insulation have different u values. Google the U value calculators or generic ones will show you the options. Build airtight and insulate right.

quote="cameramonkey;117215393"]on a new build would it be normal to use 100mm or 150mm insulation in the cavity between two block exterior walls . Is there a big difference between 150 and 100 in terms of insulation vales?[/quote]

• Advertisement
Advertisement