Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Gloss Kitchen coating separating

Options
  • 20-05-2021 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi ,
    We have a high gloss kitchen about 11 years old.
    Over the last couple of years the high gloss coating has started to separate from the MDF carcass/frame on several of the units.
    I was keeping this at bay with a superglue but this is also failing.

Evo stick contact cement was used on a panel but this left a rippled effect.

Any suggestions anyone??

TIA

Good One

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 EmmaC1978

Unless it's still under warranty, you're looking at a new kitchen. We moved into our house just over 3 years ago, and the kitchen was high gloss, cracked in some places, lifting in many more. We tried a few different glue options, even had a builder have a go, but to no avail. We just had to put up with it until we got a new kitchen. May I ask, do you know where the kitchen was from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Post a photo. We respray wrapped kitchens from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

You can also replace the doors of an existing kitchen. There’s no need to order new cabinets. Any competent kitchen supplier should be able to measure up your doors and provide total replacements if that’s what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

My parents have a vinyl wrapped kitchen, about 15 years old. Some bits are separating but have been glued down fairly successfully. They're getting the whole thing sprayed now and they guy who does it couldn't believe how well they vinyl had held up. I think they're just not very long lasting.

Have you tried using a wood glue or some kind of spray glue instead of super glue?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

Thanks for the responses.

We know the supplier but they made a half hearted attempt to rectify and are extremely difficult to get to come back. I have though about getting them back to see if they could do anything but then the whole COVID thing kicked off.....

I did try spray glue but it never took.
    Part of me is thinking that as the high gloss skin is lifting fully, that we might be able to paint the underlying MDF carcass/ panels. However there are some panels still in perfect condition.
    We still like the kitchen and I couldn't justify/afford installing a new kitchen after only 11 years.

Re-spraying might be an option, so light at the end of the tunnel....we still like the kitchen.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 EmmaC1978

We painted one end panel of a larder fridge in a high gloss cream - the builder said it was like Shellac - it looked better than the original kitchen! But we were renovating the whole house anyway so it was only a short-term fix.

Advertisement