Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Combi box

Options
  • 19-05-2021 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I'll be getting a new place shortly a want to get a Combi box. Can anyone make any recommendations? I'm happy to spend a few bob on it as I want something that's reasonably future proofed and it'll pay for itself compared to a sky subscription.

I was looking at the Vu+ Duo 4K, but the Zgemma H7 and Formuler F1 seem to be the most popular here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Zgemma H7S is my daily driver with no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yep using Zgemma H7S also in main room twin sat and saorview and can record.

Are you on a new sky q in new place as their lnb will differ and not work and would need checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

greasepalm wrote: »
    Are you on a new sky q in new place as their lnb will differ and not work and would need checking.
    Thanks for this, I'm not sure yet but I'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Zgemma will most likely be my next box too.

One thing worth looking at is getting a unicable LNB if you're starting fresh. Just one cable from the dish to the house. You can then have 2/4/8 - 32 way splitters to feed other unicable enabled boxes afterwards.

On another note might you be looking for other sats in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

I've a Gigablue UHD UE 4K and ZGemma H7S both running Openvix.

There isn't much between them. The ZGemma seems to be busy a bit more and the remote seems to have a weaker signal. The Gigablue also has FBC tuners which I use with Unicable.

I don't think the Vu+ boxes are worth the extra cost as hardware wise they are similar to many other manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

dubrov wrote: »
    I've a Gigablue UHD UE 4K and ZGemma H7S both running Openvix.

There isn't much between them. The ZGemma seems to be busy a bit more and the remote seems to have a weaker signal. The Gigablue also has FBC tuners which I use with Unicable.

I don't think the Vu+ boxes are worth the extra cost as hardware wise they are similar to many other manufacturers.

I have the Gigablue UHD UE 4K on Openvix as well, only have it a few months but so far happy with it.

With the FBC tuners and Unicable I can have 8+ satellite channels at once and I have the dual DVB-T tuner in the additional tuner slot which allows all the Saorview channels to be tuned at once.

Its probably way overkill on the tuner numbers but I am able to use it as a streaming server for multiple TVs running IPTV software to get the channels on them without running coax all over.

Now if only there was eight things worth watching all week :)

@Gerry do you have a motorised setup on h7s ?

@Gerry do you have a motorised setup on h7s ?

No I have a multiLNB dish and Multiswitch for 9E, 13E, 19E and 28E
    9E is more for anorak purposes than actual use :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Thanks folks for all the replies - lots of info and things to think about.
    dubrov wrote: »
    Thanks for this, I'm happy to shell out a bit, but don't want to waste it either!
    sligojoek wrote: »
    One thing worth looking at is getting a unicable LNB if you're starting fresh. Just one cable from the dish to the house. You can then have 2/4/8 - 32 way splitters to feed other unicable enabled boxes afterwards.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of it, but I think I'll go down this route now.
    On another note might you be looking for other sats in the future?
    I'll start out just trying to get 28E :D but in time I could see myself mucking about with it and seeing what else I can pick up.

The last time I got a box I set it up for a relative (I got the Edision OS Mega back then when it was all the rage....literally two weeks later the Formuler F1 came out and that was the end of anyone on here talking about the Edison) I was able to get it up and running reasonably well. At the moment I'm renting so I'm using Sky, but when I move I'll be able to get my own box and play around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

No I have a multiLNB dish and Multiswitch for 9E, 13E, 19E and 28E
    9E is more for anorak purposes than actual use :o

Is there any TV channels of interest on 9E, 13E, 19E ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

If you decide to go Unicable, it tends to work well with FBC tuners. One cable into a box could give you the equivalent of 8 satellite tuners.
    It's not a necessity though as Unicable will work with any satellite receiver.

You can also share your recordings over the network and pretty much any phone/tablet/TV will play them directly (see DLNA)

m8 wrote: »

9E is Saorsat RTÉ and TG4 only. There is another sat on 9E but Saorsat uses a different LNB.
    13E is primarily the Polish channels. NASA TV HD and NASA UHD are both FTA.
    19E is mainly German and Spanish. I regularly watch the Rockpalast concerts on WDR HD. Arte HD is in German/french but also has good concerts. DW News HD is in English.

German, Polish and Spanish subscription movie and documentary channels usually still carry the English audio. Each country has their own versions of Discovery, Nat Geo etc

m8 wrote: »

Movies tv channels and a few anorak channels sports

https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-19.2E.php
    https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-13E.php
    https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-9E.php

Some channels may only be in 1 language and others might have English.

Always depends on what your needs are to view.

Advertisement