Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ascent

Options
  • 19-05-2021 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

I am hyped for this. It has a Cyberpunk meets Diablo feel. It looks beautiful, graphicly stunning. Some of the enemies look amazing aswell. 4 player Coop which is even better. Cant wait.

It is releasing in July and is coming to Game Pass day one aswell!

General thoughts so far are very good.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-18-the-ascent-preview

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Looks great, has a very Alienation/Dead Nation look to it with a bit more polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

(meant to come to boards to shout out to the game but i think boards was upgrading at that time lol)

Ya I am sure I am not the only one - THIS is the cyberpunk game of the year. Absolutely stunning visuals and a passion project from the team that puts so much thoughts and hearts into the world building. The game is short (20+hours including clearing all side quests) but ya i think more contents can be expected from the small team.

I run the game with AMD3600 + 1650Super and i get smooth gameplay experience - I am absolutely in love with the world setting, everything looks so beautiful and the details are just...mesmerising. I literally spent the last few hours to walk around (doing side quests) and I enjoy seeing all the things happening to the people in the game - some rando group of people sitting drinking at their balcony and i was eavesdropping. Beautiful. I can't wait for more contents from them.

I haven't played any new game for years tbh (last was...Bayonetta 2 i think lol), nowadays i play more remake/remaster etc. Gameplay wise is ok, again, pretty visuals but ya could use some depth and honestly they should set up some proper memorable boss fights - but again, to me that world building is on another level that they could build so much on it if they want (DLC or sequels etc). This studio truly put some AAA studios to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Yeah it got lost in the migration storm. I did one playthrough solo and then started again on co-op with the wife but that hasn't gone far. It's a beautiful game, the design, graphic fidelity and soundtrack are amazing. The game itself I'd class as 'just' good. The combat mechanics are solid but the level design is underused imho with too many later missions involving minutes of walking between points (even using the limited fast-travel). The world is interesting enough early on to mitigate this but it begins to wear later. Weapon loot is also underwhelming with shops effectively being useless, I used them to sell but almost never bought anything, they need to add upgrade parts as purchasable items (if they haven't since launch). It's a good budget oriented buy that I don't think does it's world full justice, some more work on the story and loot side could have elevated this to classic imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Yes fully agreed there. I wrote quite a long review on steam lmao saying on the gameplay could be improved and they should just hire some writers to expand the story more.

Loot wise, aye this is touching another big issue that I am not sure this could be fixed in this game - maybe they can do that in the sequel or something ha. I farmed like 20 of those superior components (using the glitch at the final stage) and then i finished the first playthrough without maxing out any weapon, I mainly used Overwhelmer (got it early while suiciding myself to all those level25 enemies at the Edge) and the Bitsplit vs robots (pre order weapon that i didn't even pre order ha, just lucky with the key i bought) throughout the game. And then i go back to get the 'hidden' Dealbreaker and maxed out the upgrades for a couple of these high tier weapons. That's all - for a game designated for 20+ hours gameplay, this is ok aye but definitely the loot system is not designed for the game's replayability. Shop yes, mainly use them for selling loots that they should give us some ways to spend our ucredits lol.

I am actually waiting for my brother to play co-op ha. I heard it is buggy as well so we didn't bother. Quite surprising that we cant play with strangers also hmm.

All in all, it felt quite rushed as well towards the end that leaves a lot of room for improvements (story + gameplay). But i can totally understand for such a small studio to do such project basically as their off-work hobby for like 3 years - they need to release it to get some cash flow going and go serious with their studio. So ya i look forward for new dlc etc, big fan now to this team ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bought this on steam to play with others, refunded it because Steam can only play with Steam and Game Pass with Xbox or Gamepass.

Picked up the month of Gamepass and then forgot about it, so have 6 days to play more of it.

One thing that annoyed me was finding things in the "hub" assume familiarity makes it easier. That and putting a level 2 quest door behind about 10 level 20 dudes :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement