Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best car brand to work on?

Options
  • 18-05-2021 6:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi my nephew wants to learn how to do his own work on his car. He can change a battery wipers, blubs
    And other small jobs like change a tyer .
    He's looking for something to work on to learn how to change brake pads/ disc pads and a oil change

Anything else that would be good to know ?

I was thinking of getting him a Honda civic any other car brands that would be cheap to buy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Old Corolla

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Any 90's japanese hatch back is perfect, you'll pick them up for next to nothing (once they're not a hot hatch.)

More important than the car, insure he had a good trolly jack, wheel chocks and high quality axel stands and that he knows how to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

FrankieB29 wrote: »
    Hi my nephew wants to learn how to do his own work on his car. He can change a battery wipers, blubs
    And other small jobs like change a tyer .
    He's looking for something to work on to learn how to change brake pads/ disc pads and a oil change

Anything else that would be good to know ?

I was thinking of getting him a Honda civic any other car brands that would be cheap to buy

Nothing like the fear of messing up a job on your daily driver, on a serious note though, as another poster said definitely look into safely lifting the car and how to support it properly and use failsafes before doing the likes of brakes discs and pads, last thing you want is a jack stand collapsing when you've the wheel off. Spark plugs would be another one to learn along with the other service items. If it's an old yoke just to practice on it'll get him used to dealing with rust during repairs aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭FrankieB29

CianRyan wrote: »
    Any 90's japanese hatch back is perfect, you'll pick them up for next to nothing (once they're not a hot hatch.)

More important than the car, insure he had a good trolly jack, wheel chocks and high quality axel stands and that he knows how to use them.

Very good point il look out for a good trolley jack for him any good places have them on sale at moment?

BlakeS94 wrote: »
    Nothing like the fear of messing up a job on your daily driver, on a serious note though, as another poster said definitely look into safely lifting the car and how to support it properly and use failsafes before doing the likes of brakes discs and pads, last thing you want is a jack stand collapsing when you've the wheel off. Spark plugs would be another one to learn along with the other service items. If it's an old yoke just to practice on it'll get him used to dealing with rust during repairs aswell

Great advice. Least this way will give him more confidence in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

FrankieB29 wrote: »
    Very good point il look out for a good trolley jack for him any good places have them on sale at moment?

I bought what feels like a fantastic one in halfords recently, 2 tonne and low profile. No fancy high speed lift but for €60 it's a 3rd the price of as the next step up. If you know anyone with a trade card, it's only about €40!

I'm a mechanic, so if it's good enough for me!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hyundai Accent 2000 onwards - you can fix almost everything with a cheap lidl tool kit.
    They are that easy to work on I did a timing belt on one in 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

+100 on this. It'll set a habit for life. I had an old jack collapse on me before and luckily my oul fella had made me buy axle stands to go along with it, not fun.

The Halfords tool sets are pretty good value too and have a lifetime warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

A lad I knew was killed last year when a car fell on him. He was only 23. I remember when he turned 18, his aunt had her pub all done up for him and all. That only seems like yesterday to me

Real harrowing moment and an eye opener on the importance of good support when working under a vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Not just that he knows how to use them, that he knows to use them and not to take any shortcuts.

If I ever have a wheel off, I lie it on its side under the car beside the jack rather than off to the side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

jumbone wrote: »
    Not just that he knows how to use them, that he knows to use them and not to take any shortcuts.

If I ever have a wheel off, I lie it on its side under the car beside the jack rather than off to the side

That's what I meant by failsafes, better a damaged wheel than a crushed limb or skull

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Said it in another thread but the best advice I ever received when working on any car was to put both wheels that you take off the car under the drums / or brake discs.

Ive seen good quality axle stands slip and only the above saved someone from serious injury.

At least the car can drop onto the wheels if they do slip.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Personally I would look for around a 00-01 facelift model corolla 1.4 VVTI if possible, they are a great little car for working on. Had one years ago and lovd working on it when it needed anything done.

Kimbot wrote: »
    Personally I would look for around a 00-01 facelift model corolla 1.4 VVTI if possible, they are a great little car for working on. Had one years ago and lovd working on it when it needed anything done.

Great car

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

K11 Micra, plenty of space around the engine and not many moving parts :D

Advertisement