Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NPPR Charge on sale of house

Options
  • 18-05-2021 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

I bought a house in 2012 and lived in it for 2 years. I am looking to sell the house now and the NPPR is an issue. I am using a different solicitor for the sale that i used for the purchase. I went back to the original solicitor for proof of NPPR paid before i bought the house and they provided receipts for 2011 and 2012 but nothing else. It looks to me that they never checked or dont have proof that it was paid or exempt in 2009 and 2010. This obviously isnt going to go away. Who is it up to to get the receipts for 2009 and 2010? me or the original solicitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

duffysfarm wrote: »
    I bought a house in 2012 and lived in it for 2 years. I am looking to sell the house now and the NPPR is an issue. I am using a different solicitor for the sale that i used for the purchase. I went back to the original solicitor for proof of NPPR paid before i bought the house and they provided receipts for 2011 and 2012 but nothing else. It looks to me that they never checked or dont have proof that it was paid or exempt in 2009 and 2010. This obviously isnt going to go away. Who is it up to to get the receipts for 2009 and 2010? me or the original solicitor?

You can get a letter off the County Council confirming the NPPR status. Different councils have different policies. You might need to fill out a form and get any solicitor to witness it, or to find a utility bill from the time.

More generally - conveyancing solicitors seem to have got more fussy about things like this (and things like velux windows) in the last few years. Possibly due to some well publicised screw ups with title in repossession cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

athlone573 wrote: »
    More generally - conveyancing solicitors seem to have got more fussy about things like this (and things like velux windows) in the last few years. Possibly due to some well publicised screw ups with title in repossession cases.

Velux windows?

Velux have a claim on your house?!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

without knowing what exactly the poster was referring to i would say he was on about velux windows in attics with no planning
    ezra_ wrote: »
    Velux windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

ezra_ wrote: »
    Velux windows?

Apparently on a strict interpretation, velux can affect compliance with planning, with a knock on effect on quality of title. You'd have to ask a qualified professional for full details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

That makes more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

athlone573 wrote: »
    Apparently on a strict interpretation, velux can affect compliance with planning, with a knock on effect on quality of title. You'd have to ask a qualified professional for full details.

What is really at issue is that Velux can indicate a breach of planning. Some velux are exempt from planning and others are not. Some solicitors insist on written confirmation that there is planning or that the velux are exempt from planning.

Advertisement