Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Holles street cycle

• 18-05-2021 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ byrnem31

https://www.nmhfoundation.ie/events/cycle-challenge

I'm going to try to cycle 100klms in one go. Break at 50klms for 20 mins. I have a good bike and can piss through 50klm in one go so it should not be a problem.

Where would be a good route to start from tallaght to 50klm out and return. A good cycle route? (Blessington and back is one I've done.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭ RobertFoster

Does it have to be out and back, or can it be a loop? If you don't mind hills this works out at around 100km on Google Maps: Tallaght > Sally Gap > Roundwood > Laragh > Ballymore Eustace > Blessington > Tallaght

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ byrnem31

Does it have to be out and back, or can it be a loop? If you don't mind hills this works out at around 100km on Google Maps: Tallaght > Sally Gap > Roundwood > Laragh > Ballymore Eustace > Blessington > Tallaght

Thanks, 50k out and 50k back. I've no experience cycling around Roundwood and that. Is it safe? I'll be going out on a Friday morning.

What I'm basically looking for is a straight forward cycle with decent straights so I can keep a good pace. The start of Blessington is a little bit hard at the nursing home but it's fine after. The only thing being on a Friday there will be quarry trucks flying up and down making it lethal as they dont give two hoots about us.

I don't want too much hills though as the most I've cycled is about 50klm. So adding another 50 onto it will be doable but at the same time, I don't want to kill myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder

even dialling back say 2km/h from your normal pace will make a big difference to your fatigue levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭ RobertFoster

If you're avoiding hills, Trim is ~50km from Tallaght. Tallaght > Lucan > Leixlip > Maynooth > Kilcock > Rathmolyon > Trim. You could join the canal after Lucan until Ferran Lock, cutting out Leixlip / Maynooth / Kilcock.

• Advertisement

If you're avoiding hills, Trim is ~50km from Tallaght. Tallaght > Lucan > Leixlip > Maynooth > Kilcock > Rathmolyon > Trim. You could join the canal after Lucan until Ferran Lock, cutting out Leixlip / Maynooth / Kilcock.

Thanks. I'll take that route so. I'll start planning it now.

A cyclist who I train kickboxing with has suggested tallaght to baltinglass.
    He's going to do the cycle with me on a Saturday instead. He's done it before. 100klm round trip and not too many quarry trucks cause its the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭ AhhHere

byrnem31 wrote: »
    A cyclist who I train kickboxing with has suggested tallaght to baltinglass.
    He's going to do the cycle with me on a Saturday instead. He's done it before. 100klm round trip and not too many quarry trucks cause its the weekend.

Is that straight via the N81?

AhhHere wrote: »
    Is that straight via the N81?

Yes it is. Just straight all the way really from tallaght all the way out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement