Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NDRC 'Office Hours'

Options
  • 18-05-2021 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has taken part in the NDRC Office Hours? For anyone who doesnt know what this is you can find it here: https://www.ndrc.ie/office-hours

I'm thinking of applying for a session. What I would like to discuss is really a side project at the moment. It's not a business right now but it does have potential to to be scalable and profitable. I assume I could apply with a "side project"?

Also I see on the form to apply for Office Hours, there's a field that asks for "Questions for your 1st choice Mentor". What sort of questions are they expecting applicants to ask here?

Finally, if anyone has done a session, how did you find it? Did you have much prepared for the session? Was it helpful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lauras Law

Anyone? :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Is your side project tech focused and globally scalable?

If so you have nothing to lose applying, prepare a 2 slide pitch deck and get some feedback. If you consider it a side project then you are probably very early or barely up and running so the amount of feedback you get would obviously be in line with that so figure out what questions are the most important to get you from where you are now to the next stage as 25 minutes is not a long time to ask questions and receive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lauras Law

It's tech focused in so much as it's a website. It's an information site in the 'female cosmetics' niche and I have 4 different strategies identified for generating revenue. 1 of those is website ads which Im already doing through Adsense. And yes it is globally scalable. It's a side project but its at the stage where the site has been running for almost 2 years and taking the last 5 months as sample, has an average of 13,600 unique monthly visitors.

Regarding the application form and the field that asks for "Questions for your 1st choice Mentor". Do you know what sort of questions they'd be expecting applicants to ask here? Will the questions I ask here be what gets answered in the session or will I be able to ask new questions during that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I would imagine ‘tech focused’ applies to tech based businesses and not just a business with a website as any business these days is going to be expected to have some form of online presence..it says that they prioritise that so that will have an impact on whether you get a slot or not. Thats not to say you may not get one but the likelihood is they are looking for example at fintech startups, people creating an app to solve problem x or y etc.

I cant say for certain as I havent done the programme but I would imagine the questions you ask are the ones that will be addressed in your session. The type of questions you have would help them align you to a specific mentor who might be more ecommerce focused than manufacturing for example. It really depends what questions you have and what you want help with too so they will need some basic info as a guide and then you should have a small slide deck as an elevator pitch to show what the business is, where its at and what you want to get to.

I would suggest apply and see how you get on and if you don't get a slot you could always approach your LEO and speak to them if you haven't about next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Lauras Law wrote: »
    It's tech focused in so much as it's a website. It's an information site in the 'female cosmetics' niche and I have 4 different strategies identified for generating revenue. 1 of those is website ads which Im already doing through Adsense. And yes it is globally scalable. It's a side project but its at the stage where the site has been running for almost 2 years and taking the last 5 months as sample, has an average of 13,600 unique monthly visitors.

Regarding the application form and the field that asks for "Questions for your 1st choice Mentor". Do you know what sort of questions they'd be expecting applicants to ask here? Will the questions I ask here be what gets answered in the session or will I be able to ask new questions during that?

I think you would do better contacting your local LEO office first, they frequently run events suited for people like yourself. An into to business, and government supports and mentoring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement