Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostat help

Options
  • 18-05-2021 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I hope it’s ok to ask this here, even though i’m not in Ireland anymore. Hydronic heating isn’t very common in Australia and i’m not getting much joy from the installation company at the moment.

So, hydronic heating with rads installed in a new build last year. Not zoned. Single story, boiler only heats the water for the rads. Nest thermostat installed. Thermostatic valves on rads in bedrooms already. The thermostat was installed in my north facing lounge dining, so gets beautiful sun in winter. As a consequence this room bets warm and can be 20-21degrees at 6pm, whereas the south facing bedrooms are at 18. Thermostat is normally set for 21-22 degrees, so isn’t turning on until late but bedrooms need heating earlier.

I contacted the installation company to ask about the Cubodomo https://cubodomo.com/system-components/?lang=en as i could set up seperate zones with this. They came back and said my system needs balancing. I explained again what the problem was and how balancing wasn’t going to solve the problem. They said to try moving the nest thermostat, so we took it out of the lounge and moved it to the laundry (its just plugged in and using usb at the moment, not wired). Laundry is small and also has a rad in there. The laundry is a good couple of degrees cooler so the thermostat is heating the bedrooms earlier which is what i wanted, but useage now seems excessive - for example, taking 3hours to make the temp rise from 18 to 21 and also thermostat not turning off when it reaches the set temp. So i’ve spoken to the company again and they are insisting on balancing the system and has said on the service call info ‘living is getting to temp faster than other rooms and those are too cold’ showing they aren’t understanding the issue(s).

Does anyone have any experience with the cubodomo system, or the ecobee with the temperature sensors. I was also reading about the hive system in another post and it sounds like this make work as well? If anyone can share a link about that that would be great, or any other options for me to look at.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

My thoughts are to do the balancing yourself.

You are the one living in the house, you know the requirements better, and its better you get to know the system yourself.
    Theres no science or skill in balancing, just tweak it, and monitor results.

Heat in the living room should be distributed to the rest of the house, look at ways to do this.. Is it going to be a sauna in summer..?

'taking 3hours' seems like something else is wrong..

Advertisement