Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menagement company want removed satelite dishes

Options
  • 17-05-2021 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

have lived in the same apartment since 2006. Today we received a letter that all satelite dishes will be removed. And there is no approval for satelite dishes. I rents an apartment from a private landrold. My satelite dish is installed in the back of the apartment. Sky recently installed its antenna here. They want to connect everyone to it. But I use a satellite other than sky. What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would consult a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭dam099

I would consult a solicitor.

As a tenant not sure how much rights you have to fix a satellite dish (or even an owner if the management company rules forbid it although if they have been ignoring for years a precedent might now be set).

Solicitor might be money down the drain, I'd maybe try Citizens Information first and see what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Sky tend to have a communal dish on the roof, if they don't they will have to now....

Houses you aren't allowed fit to the front as councils have it illegal.

Management companies do this to with apartments as it's their responsibility for the walls, services in communl areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You're in a rock and a hard place, op.
    See if the apartment complex wanted to remove the dishes but provide no alternative like a communal sky dish then the moans out of people would be something else. Which means nothing would change which be great for you and your hotbird satellite etc.

Problem is most people just have sky dishes up. So that communal dish is gonna satisfy a lot of people. You'll be the odd one out making a stink.

Talk to your neighbours first. Don't just ring up a solicitor and throw your money away. See what the general feelings are. As many an apartment complex has said dishes will be taken down only for years later to be still up.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishfire

If I'm reading this correctly op your issue is not with the removal of the dish, but the fact that you don't use sky and how this will impact your current Freesat or free to air reciever?

In my experience, where a management company makes this change they deploy a communal dish with a fiber optic distribution system going to each apartment.

You should be given access to this the same as any other residents in the complex which will give you the satellite feeds you need for your free to air (non-sky) satellite receiver. The upkeep of this is normally covered from the management fees rather than by sky directly in this case as other owners will likely have free to air also and won't want to move to a sky subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think most apartment complexes don't allow satellite dishes

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

That must be annoying for you.

What satellite do you use now?

The least hassle option is to sign up to Sky for a year, this will get you the satellite feed into your apartment, which you can use to access Sky or Freesat/FTA on 28E (possibly needing an updated box compatible with wideband LNB)

If you watch Eastern European or other non Astra channels then you're a bit stuck. I doubt one of those flat dishes tucked away on the balcony would work.

You could start a campaign to persuade the management company to allow dishes which probably won't work, or you could play dumb until they eventually remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Arek

I am using the hotbird 13E satellite. I wrote to Management Company until now with no reply. Yes Sky set hire own sat dish and now want connect all apartments. Of course not for free. I live here in that same apartment from 2006 and until now sat dishes was aprroved. And I have private landrold. Previously, they only required that the sat dish must be dark in color and on the back of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Arek wrote: »
    I am using the hotbird 13E satellite. I wrote to Management Company until now with no reply. Yes Sky set hire own sat dish and now want connect all apartments. Of course not for free. I live here in that same apartment from 2006 and until now sat dishes was aprroved. And I have private landrold. Previously, they only required that the sat dish must be dark in color and on the back of the house.

You need legal advice regarding your right to retain the existing dish.

• Advertisement

13 needs a decent size dish I believe. Not much you can do if you can't get the signal from within the balcony

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Iptv options maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I'd go with IPTV myself. Ask around and you might find a supplier...

Sure I use it for Irish channels, just couldn't be arsed putting up an aerial for the little bits worth watching on Irish TV.

KungPao wrote:
    I'd go with IPTV myself. Ask around and you might find a supplier...

Many available on the Internets, I'd say its the only way around this conundrum tbh, no point paying for a service you ve no interest in as it doesn't suit your needs

I don't have balcony. I live in ground floor. I live outside town that's estate with building in row. When will be pushed to remove I take risk and anyway I install thys panel sat antena isthen

I don't have balcony. I live in ground floor. I live outside town that's estate with building in row. When will be pushed to remove I take risk and anyway I install thys panel sat antena isthen

whats your broadband service like?

I don't have balcony. I live in ground floor. I live outside town that's estate with building in row with garden for everyone. When they pushed to remove I take risk and anyway I install thys panel sat antena is smaller than normal one. But first I wait for answer from them my second step will be my landrold. He is helpful. If that not help instal new.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    whats your broadband service like?

Digiweb electric SIRO Broadband 500 download

Digiweb electric 500 download

iptv all the way, obviously using a satellite will become difficult for you from now on, iptv is streaming across the internet, theres some really good services out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

For somebody in this situation, what boxes compatible with a wideband LNB would be recommended?

Advertisement