Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Borris-in-Ossory

Options
  • 17-05-2021 7:21pm

I'm not at all familiar with the village but am looking at a property there as I like the house, it's good for commuting to various cities and has the rail link to the Cork/Dublin line in Ballybrophy.

What's the village like in terms of neighbours, social life etc? Single, mid 30s, no kids yet so the schools/GAA wouldn't be of too much interest at the moment. I've visited a couple of times but it's hard to get a feel for a place unless you know someone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

It’s a nice little place but like all towns in Ireland it’s in decay. You’d be nearer Limerick than Dublin and just off motorway. Probably fairly affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭roosterman71

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wouldn't count on Ballybrophy staying open, I'd probably pick a somewhere close to a different station on the cork/Dublin line.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where did you hear that?

It usually pops up in the news every so often, I do see it's being upgrade which is a good sign, https://laois-nationalist.ie/2021/03/11/ballybrophy-trains-station-upgrade-works-welcomed/
    Roscrea is probably as close time wise as Borris, a lot of people from Nenagh use Ballybrophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

and stay the hell away from sals diner,the food there you would,nt give to a dog.........................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

I think that’s the ballybrophy—Limerick section rather than the station itself that’s at risk
    It usually pops up in the news every so often, I do see it's being upgrade which is a good sign, https://laois-nationalist.ie/2021/03/11/ballybrophy-trains-station-upgrade-works-welcomed/
    Roscrea is probably as close time wise as Borris, a lot of people from Nenagh use Ballybrophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I honestly think Borris has a permanent dark cloud of depression over it.

It depends on what you want? If you want a busy (& expensive) area to live fine, yet if it’s a quiet life (with some local services) at reasonable prices then it’s not too bad. Plenty of decent towns within a short drive of it, plus the motorway close by for further travel.
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I honestly think Borris has a permanent dark cloud of depression over it.

It depends on what you want? If you want a busy (& expensive) area to live fine, yet if it’s a quiet life (with some local services) at reasonable prices then it’s not too bad. Plenty of decent towns within a short drive of it, plus the motorway close by for further travel.

I mean it’s a dreary dead end town. Shops closed, dull grey buildings.

Like everywhere else really. Mountrath is another place that is as dull and dreary as they come. Mountmellick another. Rathdowney too. So many of these places have been gutted by the pull of the city and nothing around to keep young blood or incentives to stay. Maybe now with a lot more remote working, these types of towns will see an uptick in general life quality.

• Advertisement

Like everywhere else really. Mountrath is another place that is as dull and dreary as they come. Mountmellick another. Rathdowney too. So many of these places have been gutted by the pull of the city and nothing around to keep young blood or incentives to stay. Maybe now with a lot more remote working, these types of towns will see an uptick in general life quality.

Yea those towns you mentioned most certainly are but I think Bortis is in a league of its own. Is it even a town? It’s like 150m long and that’s it. You’re met with a derelict hotel on the way in, blink and you’re on the way to Roscrea.

Think it's classed as a town alright, but a small one. Probably only got that status when it became a "commuter" town back in the Celtic Tiger days and estates popped up, most of which were never finished.

In my eyes, it's a village. A single 500m street village :pac:

There is potential. It has a high rate of passing traffic. Needs something to try get them to stop for a while. I'm working on that though

Going from been on the main Dublin Limerick road to been bypassed has had a big impact yet as another poster has mentioned on this thread, remote working could change the dynamic in sleepy towns like this.
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yea those towns you mentioned most certainly are but I think Bortis is in a league of its own. Is it even a town? It’s like 150m long and that’s it. You’re met with a derelict hotel on the way in, blink and you’re on the way to Roscrea.

Advertisement