Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Only want a handicap - What are my options?

  • 17-05-2021 9:54am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ username?!


    I don't have the time to justify a full membership this year but really would like to get my handicap back, was a member 2 years ago.

    Is it possible to just get a membership or is it still the case of joining a very very cheap club in the sticks and getting a handicap that way?

    If so, any reccomendations?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭ Salvation Tambourine


    I'm not an expert on it but a friend of mine is joining a club as a Distance Member for €180 for the same purpose of getting a handicap. Could be something to look into.

    Hopefully others have better alternatives.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    There is a new company out now that will do just what you want. you pay about 150, put 3 cards in at designated courses and you get your handicap. Not sure can you enter the weekly comps in the designated courses though I would think you cant.

    Flexygolf i think is the name of it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭ callaway92


    Slievenamon was always the popular option for this. It's probably still the cheapest distance membership in Ireland.

    Likewise if you already have a handicap but live in something like Dublin City where membership is too expensive. At least if you maintain a distance membership in Slievenamon you can play Open Competitions nationally which are better value than Green Fees.


  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ davegilly


    etxp wrote: »
    There is a new company out now that will do just what you want. you pay about 150, put 3 cards in at designated courses and you get your handicap. Not sure can you enter the weekly comps in the designated courses though I would think you cant.

    Flexygolf i think is the name of it.
    They’re not replying to emails so I’m pretty sure they are dead in the water already.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭ willabur


    username?! wrote: »
    I don't have the time to justify a full membership this year but really would like to get my handicap back, was a member 2 years ago.

    Is it possible to just get a membership or is it still the case of joining a very very cheap club in the sticks and getting a handicap that way?

    If so, any reccomendations?

    Why not join a 5 day pay and play course?
    Once you have cards in you are good to go


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    davegilly wrote: »
    They’re not replying to emails so I’m pretty sure they are dead in the water already.

    Jesus they didn't last long if that's the case, not even 6 months!


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    etxp wrote: »
    Jesus they didn't last long if that's the case, not even 6 months!
    Was not a fan of the 'idea' and I'd say Golf Ireland weren't either. It was basically blood-sucking from traditional golf clubs by taking advantage of open competition fees to provide cheap golf for their 'members'.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭ DuckSlice


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Was not a fan of the 'idea' and I'd say Golf Ireland weren't either. It was basically blood-sucking from traditional golf clubs by taking advantage of open competition fees to provide cheap golf for their 'members'.

    To be honest i was all for it at the start, but then i heard a couple of interviews speaking about it and peoples thoughts on here and i changed my mind on it. They needed a lot more than the 2 clubs to sign up to it. i think its the same fella that has the clubstohire business.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭ brick tamland


    davegilly wrote: »
    They’re not replying to emails so I’m pretty sure they are dead in the water already.

    Highfield have a similar/same offer as you would have got thru Flexygolf, if you go direct to the course rather than through Flexygolf (I think its all linked anyway), maybe the other couses that were named doing same, wasnt there a course in Cavan?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭ Frisbee


    username?! wrote: »
    I don't have the time to justify a full membership this year but really would like to get my handicap back, was a member 2 years ago.

    Is it possible to just get a membership or is it still the case of joining a very very cheap club in the sticks and getting a handicap that way?

    If so, any reccomendations?

    Where are you based? If Dublin / Wicklow / Kildare area than Blessington Lakes do a €159 Pay & Play membership option which sounds exactly what you are looking for.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement