Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Ceed Estate - drumming sound in rear

Options
  • 16-05-2021 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

I've been googling all morning but can't really get any answers. Here's the problem.

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a kind of knocking/drumming sound from the rear when I pulled out of the driveway. Its in time with the speed of the car and as I accelerate it gets faster until you can't notice it or its gone at a speed over 60l70 kph.

At slower speeds if you tip the brakes, but are still moving the sound fades away. It doesn't happen in reverse. Anyone have an idea what it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If it goes out of it after a bit of driving and doesn't come back i'd say it's just surface rust on the brake discs and they are cleaning back up as you drive the car.

Next time have a look at the rear brake discs through the wheel before you drive away, see are they rusty or are they shiney. Post a pic if you're not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

If it goes out of it after a bit of driving and doesn't come back i'd say it's just surface rust on the brake discs and they are cleaning back up as you drive the car.

Next time have a look at the rear brake discs through the wheel before you drive away, see are they rusty or are they shiney. Post a pic if you're not sure.

IMG-20210516-153707.jpg

IMG-20210516-153723.jpg

Rusty alright compared to the front which are shiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I've been googling all morning but can't really get any answers. Here's the problem.

Yesterday afternoon I noticed a kind of knocking/drumming sound from the rear when I pulled out of the driveway. Its in time with the speed of the car and as I accelerate it gets faster until you can't notice it or its gone at a speed over 60l70 kph.

At slower speeds if you tip the brakes, but are still moving the sound fades away. It doesn't happen in reverse. Anyone have an idea what it is?

Just to be safe,check to see if you have a loose wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭horse7

Wheel bearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Larry Mullen is hiding in your boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭horse7

There,s always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Or stone lodged into thread of tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Turned out to be bits of rust and dirt in the rear brake area causing the noise. All checked and noise gone.

Advertisement