Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought replacement power cell with larger capacity and it will not charge

Options
  • 15-05-2021 3:50pm

PXL_20210515_144040389.jpg

The power cell with the RS branding is the new cell.

Both power cells have the same connectors and the red wire connected to the - terminal
    Both cells are Nickel metal hydride.
    When I tried to charge the RS cell, the wire got very hot. So did the cell itself.
    When I attached the RS cell to the machine and switched the machine on there was no sign of life.when I returned the old power cell with just the printed text on it, it worked fine.

Do I reverse polarity to correct the issue or is there more to it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

What's the charger you're using?
    Did the old battery charge particularly quickly?

The old charger may be the problem if it charges too fast for the new battery.

niallb wrote: »
    What's the charger you're using?
    Did the old battery charge particularly quickly?

Huawei charger where the USB cable is plugged into.

The USB cable got really hot when connected to the new power cell for 5 minutes.

There is a LED in this cable : when charging the old battery it flashed on and off about a second interval. When trying to charge the new battery, it flickers rapidly.

Huawei charger where the USB cable is plugged into.

...The USB cable got really hot when connected to the new power cell for 5 minutes...

Is that the charger that originally came with the device? (What is it?)

It seems strange to be charging a 7.2V battery back with a USB charger, but steady current is the main thing.

niallb wrote: »
    It seems strange to be charging a 7.2V battery back with a USB charger, but steady current is the main thing.

No mains charger came with the device.

"It seems strange to be charging a 7.2 battery pack...."

I've been doing this for 3 years with the old battery pack.

In addition to the Huawei charger, I also use a Maplins Raspberry Pi charger supplied with a Maplins raspberry Pi Complete Kit.

The raspberry Pi is now junk. PM me if you want any Raspberry Pi 2 / 3

Charger not supplied ofcourse. You'll have to pay postage.

Do you attach the charger directly to the battery or to the device with the battery installed?

If it's in the device it probably has any circuitry required to supply the right voltage, but current could still be a problem as the new battery has 5 times the capacity of the old one and might have other different charge characteristics.

It's hard to see the original cable in the first picture. Are the packs identical in construction? Any chance there's a component or two under the plastic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

RS batteries are usually junk.

I dont know how or what they do with them, probably lying around for years, and self-discharged below terminal.

whizbang wrote: »
    RS batteries are usually junk.

I dont know how or what they do with them, probably lying around for years, and self-discharged below terminal.

Hard lesson for me. Buying a battery off Marks models in the short term.

Advertisement