Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbers in pots / damp ground

Options
  • 14-05-2021 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Back wall gets water logged in wet weather so plants find it hard to take. I was thinking of using large pots with the bottom cut out then plant half way of the pot dept.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,165 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If the ground is as wet as you suggest then that solution would not help. The pots would effectively have no drainage and would end up just as wet as the surrounding ground. You could use pots but leave them as they are and even lift them very slightly (you can get little 'feet' that slip under the pot to lift it off the ground) to ensure they have good drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Presumably this is the boundary wall of the garden rather than the back wall of the house.
    It might be beneficial to find out why the water will not drain away. Perhaps there might be something easy and inexpensive that you can do, to improve the situation.
    You can see that the water just comes to a certain height when it rains. What's holding it in? If you can see what's blocking it you have the answer, for instance knocking a small hole in the wall below ground level.
    Alternatively, why not add a quantity of good draining topsoil in this area to raise the ground level above that of the inundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

yeah it's the back boundary wall. I would guess it's the quality of the soil causing the problem. I went for pot's on cobble blocks in the end.
    cheers

Advertisement