Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions re new wall for bedding plants

Options
  • 14-05-2021 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We recently had a new wall built which will be for a raised flowerbed\shrubs\etc.

See attached pictures

My question is, there is a foundation underneath both lengths of the wall so no drainage as such...is this going to cause problems later down the line, or will the amount of water being held in this area be minimal?

I don't want moisture\water being held and then that coming through the wall and damaging the paint (you can already see there is damp showing at the base of the plaster, and that was done 2 weeks ago so it doens't seem to be reducing.

Would a layer of dampcourse be something I should put in?

I have already started filling the area in with some of the earth which was taken out for the foundations

Many thanks,

Comments

Hi all,

We recently had a new wall built which will be for a raised flowerbed\shrubs\etc.

See attached pictures

My question is, there is a foundation underneath both lengths of the wall so no drainage as such...is this going to cause problems later down the line, or will the amount of water being held in this area be minimal?

I don't want moisture\water being held and then that coming through the wall and damaging the paint (you can already see there is damp showing at the base of the plaster, and that was done 2 weeks ago so it doens't seem to be reducing.

Would a layer of dampcourse be something I should put in?

I have already started filling the area in with some of the earth which was taken out for the foundations

Many thanks,

If you're painting, then definitely put in damp course along the wall but it has to be able to drain at the bottom so none there. I'd remove the rubble and wouldn't put in the earth from the foundations as that is most likely subsoil. I'd fill with top soil, lots of grit near the top and then compost.

When painting it's essential you use a primer like Owatrol EB or you will end up with flaking and peeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,165 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You say that both walls have foundations therefore there is no drainage? If there were two strips of foundation then there is a good chance that there is a gap down the middle, in which case you will probably get away with it. If you take out the rubble and break through the centre line you might be able to create sufficient of a gap. If the area between the walls was deliberately filled in with cement all the way across then you have a problem as lack of drainage will ruin the beds in no time.

What is the wall to the right in the final pic, is it a house wall? Not a good idea to pile soil in there if so. You could try a waterproof membrane against the wall but not covering the bottom of the box, or you could put in a row of large pots to contain the soil. You must have drainage in the bottom though or you will end up with a moat.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Take out all that rubble, dig down a a few inches below ground level, fill the trench with water, then see how long it takes to soak away. This will determine your course of action. If it doesn't disperse, you need to make some alterations, so that it has somewhere to go, otherwise you can then break up the rubble small, with a lump hammer or similar, mix with a decent quantity of gravel and put it back in, followed, as Dancinpants says, with good draining topsoil/compost, and as looksee says, take steps to prevent dampness soaking through the back wall, particularly if it's a dwelling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I done something similar and use a paint on sealer to seal the wall. (Can't for the life of me remember its name, most builder providers have it) and its worked perfectly. Not cheap but you really don't want water soaking into the plaster as it will rise.

It would be worth sealing or using a membrane on the inside of all them beds to help stop damp from coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 28,165 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would that be the blue coloured tanking 'paint' for using under shower units? Expensive but good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

looksee wrote: »
    Would that be the blue coloured tanking 'paint' for using under shower units? Expensive but good stuff.

Yep. Thats the stuff. I done it about 3 years ago and no sign of any damp up the wall. Obviously don't have soil above the level of the paint

Advertisement