Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aircon Smell

Options
  • 13-05-2021 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭

Our car (151) aircon has had a smell for the last few years.
    The aircon itself works well.
    I've done the Halford's 'bomb' aerosol a few times but it only works for a few weeks before the smell returns.
    Where in Dublin can I get it properly cleaned out?
    I see there's a place in Park West that does cleaning, but they only charge €20 for that.
    That sounds like they just do a 'bomb'-type clean on it also.
    I'd like something more thorough.
    They also do a re-gas for €60, but that re-gas includes the €20 de-smell so I'm not sure if their re-gas will be any better than a de-smell.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you changed the pollen filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

Have you changed the pollen filter?

Yes, changed at the most recent service.
    We only get the smell when the aircon is on (actually worst just after we turn it off).

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Generally the "bombs" work once you use them correctly. You might have to do a couple of them a week or so apart to clear the bacteria that is causing the smell (wet socks / damp dog smell)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I was plagued with that stink on nearly every car I had, it was always sorted by using the bomb but as was just said it sometimes took 3 or 4 before it finally went away. This car (191) I never turned off the Aircon from the day I bought it and never had the stink, once you get rid of it leave the Aircon on permanently. It's a atrocious smell really sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

This smell is usually due to bacteria built up in the airways and A/C system.

If you spray something like this into the vents it should help:

DettolAllinOneDisinfectantSpray-CrispLinen_500x.jpg?v=1596020875

As far as I know, the gas used in air con systems has lubrication and anti-bacterial stuff in it therefore getting the system drained and regassed should also help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

This smell is usually due to bacteria built up in the airways and A/C system.

If you spray something like this into the vents it should help:

DettolAllinOneDisinfectantSpray-CrispLinen_500x.jpg?v=1596020875

As far as I know, the gas used in air con systems has lubrication and anti-bacterial stuff in it therefore getting the system drained and regassed should also help.

The gas is completely sealed away, getting it changed will do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I was plagued with that stink on nearly every car I had, it was always sorted by using the bomb but as was just said it sometimes took 3 or 4 before it finally went away. This car (191) I never turned off the Aircon from the day I bought it and never had the stink, once you get rid of it leave the Aircon on permanently. It's a atrocious smell really sickening.

Just on this. My air-conditioning is working grand but is it recommended or okay to run it continuously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I use aircon all the time. Its cooling in the summer, and with heating on in the winter, it keeps the windscreen nice and dry and non fogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just on this. My air-conditioning is working grand but is it recommended or okay to run it continuously?

It's better to run it continuously, the liquid contains lubricant that keeps the seals and other moving parts from drying out, more gas is lost when it's unused as the seals tend to dry out.

Advertisement