Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Tuscon steering issue

Options
  • 13-05-2021 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Have just purchased a 2017 Tuscon. It seemed fine on the test drives but having driven it on a few longer journeys, the steering seems very strange. Hard to describe, but it feels like it is sticking ever so slightly when you go to straighten up, change direction. Sometimes the steering feels free and then you feel the restriction when you go to turn it, not smooth at all. Almost as if you have to pull it out of a notch to turn it.

Have tried all the LKA settings, but the steering just feels unnatural. Really unhappy with the car, especially on longer journeys its tiring over concentrating on the wheel.
    Dealer is putting it down to LKA and the safety built into the car. Would hand it back in a heartbeat at this stage. Any ideas how to approach it with the dealer..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

So you turned off Lane Keep Assist and steering still feels odd?

I'd ask for a loaner or a "test drive" of another same car and see how that feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Did you buy it from a Hyudai dealer?

This is a very popular complaint in that model Tucson. There is a TPI for it where part of the power steering gear wasn't greased enough during production and it causes the steering to become weighted when moved off centre and it feels like the steering is resisting you. The gear set is plastic so the solution is just to properly grease the unit and it completely changes the steering feedback.

Doesn't take long, should be covered by the cars warranty. Every second Tucson owner has that complaint, it's so popular i'd be surprised if your dealer isn't aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Did you buy it from a Hyudai dealer?

This is a very popular complaint in that model Tucson. There is a TPI for it where part of the power steering gear wasn't greased enough during production and it causes the steering to become weighted when moved off centre and it feels like the steering is resisting you. The gear set is plastic so the solution is just to properly grease the unit and it completely changes the steering feedback.

Doesn't take long, should be covered by the cars warranty. Every second Tucson owner has that complaint, it's so popular i'd be surprised if your dealer isn't aware of it.

Thanks for that info, not from a Hyundai dealer, but a main dealership all the same. It's worrying that they are not aware of it if it's that common. Was in about it already. The mechanic took it out and said it was down to the LKA. I didn't know much about that system before that so couldn't really question it. Have driven it on a couple of hour long journeys since and it is awful. Quiet dangerous to be honest, especially on narrower secondary roads where it can really throw you off.
    I don't even like driving it now it's so off-putting. Am gonna go in with it again and see what they say. Would quiet happily swap it for a different car at this stage, disgusted with it as it's very low mileage. Never realised how important a comfortable steer was to me till now..!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s still under manufacturers warranty, so just contact a Hyundai dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

UsBus wrote: »
    Thanks for that info, not from a Hyundai dealer, but a main dealership all the same. It's worrying that they are not aware of it if it's that common. Was in about it already. The mechanic took it out and said it was down to the LKA. I didn't know much about that system before that so couldn't really question it. Have driven it on a couple of hour long journeys since and it is awful. Quiet dangerous to be honest, especially on narrower secondary roads where it can really throw you off.
    I don't even like driving it now it's so off-putting. Am gonna go in with it again and see what they say. Would quiet happily swap it for a different car at this stage, disgusted with it as it's very low mileage. Never realised how important a comfortable steer was to me till now..!

Not worrying that they didn't know about it IMO. I wouldn't expect a Ford, Nissan or whatever dealer to know what goes wrong with a Hyundai or vice versa. That vehicle is under warranty with Hyundai. Either bring it to a Hyundai dealer yourself or ask the place where you bought it to do so.

From the previous description of the issue, it sounds as though it can be rectified reasonably easily so I would get it sorted, then drive it again and see what you think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah i wouldn't expect a dealer from another franchise to be too aware of it, it's a very product specific issue, doesn't leave any fault codes and in fairness you'd never really think to check that the sealed rack is adequately greased and that even if it wasn't it would create bad feedback like that.

Ring a Hyundai dealer, they'll get it sorted swift enough. Will be under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Can confirm 1st hand that the greasing rectification is covered by Hyundai warranty, just had ours done with last service and it’s now fixed the issue.

Steering racks were being replaced until they realised the mechanism just needed packing with grease properly!

Getting mine booked into Hyundai dealership to sort the issue, as the dealership couldn't see anything wrong. Wheel alignment was perfect. Had it suggested that the steering angle sensor might be off, but it's looking like the grease reapplication should hopefully work.

If that doesn't solve it, then it's a different motor for me.

Getting mine booked into Hyundai dealership to sort the issue, as the dealership couldn't see anything wrong. Wheel alignment was perfect. Had it suggested that the steering angle sensor might be off, but it's looking like the grease reapplication should hopefully work.

If that doesn't solve it, then it's a different motor for me.

Where in the country are you? My dealer in Carlow knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned “sticky steering wheel” sensation on long drives, mainly straight roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Does the kia sportage suffer the same issue?
    I know they are practically the same car underneath.
    My brother has a sportage and he mentioned its abit odd in the steering - almost wanting to stay at the straight ahead when you want to turn. I thought it would just be tyres or something.

• Advertisement

The_Chap wrote: »
    Where in the country are you? My dealer in Carlow knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned “sticky steering wheel” sensation on long drives, mainly straight roads.

In the west, Galway Mayo border. Ya I thought they would have known as well. I know nothing about cars except the issues I've experienced through the years and gone to research them. Tuscon steering issue pops up regularly from what I've seen. The dealers are SIMI registered so I'm confident this will be resolved one way or the other.

In the west, Galway Mayo border. Ya I thought they would have known as well. I know nothing about cars except the issues I've experienced through the years and gone to research them. Tuscon steering issue pops up regularly from what I've seen. The dealers are SIMI registered so I'm confident this will be resolved one way or the other.

Im sure it will be resolved but i wouldnt place any weight on the SIMI bit. They are a motor industry lobby group funded by the motor traders. They wont be a help to you.

This is the seller you’re talking about and not the Hyundai dealer?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    This is the seller you’re talking about and not the Hyundai dealer?

Yep, sorry should have been clearer, the dealers I purchased the car from are registered. I have dealt with Simi in the past and they were extremely helpful. Am only going to be using Hyundai dealer for warranty repair. Any further work required will be covered by the seller as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

Go to a Hyundai main dealer and get the recall done for the handbrake wiring harness at the same time as the steering issue

Go to a Hyundai main dealer and get the recall done for the handbrake wiring harness at the same time as the steering issue

Good point yes

Christ, what have I just bought....:)

Never be concerned about a brand that does recalls, only the brands that never do them!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

Don’t be worrying..all cars will be subject to recalls and service measures at some stage in their lifetime

Just an update on the steering issue with my Tucson.
    I got it booked into a main Hyundai dealership. They were well aware of the steering issue and fix required.

The sticking issue with the steering wheel has now been fixed. I definitely find the steering a little ''freer'' than previous cars I've driven. Something I'm gradually getting used to. Having driven it for 3 weeks with constant focus on the steering, it will take a few journeys to get used to it.

• Advertisement

Great outcome.

So a further update on my Tucson purchase,

I'm not overly happy with the drive of the car, in particular the looseness of the steering wheel is a bit distracting, especially on tighter roads.
    The dealer has given me the option to replace it, not much choice available that I would swap for. I looked at two options:
    Audi A4
    Peugeot 3008

Not sure about the Peugeot, 2017, interior nice, bit different, value after a year or two..???
    Would any of you have any concerns about going for the A4..? 2014, 82K miles, 120bhp. looks like timing belt was done from the service record, but I would have to confirm. Paintwork not fantastic, but interior is in good nick. Drive is nice, steering excellent..))

I could always stick with the Tucson for the moment although, I have some finance on it, so now would be my chance to change terms if its worth it.

The 3008 is a lovely car, and they are holding their value second hand.
    If I had a Tucson I’d swap for a 3008 in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Water2626262

I'm not overly happy with the drive of the car, in particular the looseness of the steering wheel is a bit distracting, especially on tighter roads.
    The dealer has given me the option to replace it, not much choice available that I would swap for. I looked at two options:
    Audi A4
    Peugeot 3008

Not sure about the Peugeot, 2017, interior nice, bit different, value after a year or two..???
    Would any of you have any concerns about going for the A4..? 2014, 82K miles, 120bhp. looks like timing belt was done from the service record, but I would have to confirm. Paintwork not fantastic, but interior is in good nick. Drive is nice, steering excellent..))

I could always stick with the Tucson for the moment although, I have some finance on it, so now would be my chance to change terms if its worth it.

The steering wheel is tiny in the 3008. Might be an issue if you are particular about steering.

The steering wheel is tiny in the 3008. Might be an issue if you are particular about steering.

Ya it is different alright. I also noticed there isn't huge legroom between the clutch and the footrest. Seemed to be a nice drive otherwise.

You will need to stay away from Korean, Japanese cars for ever then. Always very light, vague steering with little or no feedback from the wheels

FWIW, my opinion would be the 3008 as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 craigh88

Hi I just bought a used tuscon 2016 test drive was great then on higher speeds straight roads there's the same problem you had,just wondering what was the fix so I can call up the dealer,thanks

It's the steering rack needs greasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tony LD

I bought a 2019 Tucson last November Had the same sticking steering problem ,which was repaired by dealer . previous car was a Hyundai IX20 also very light on steering this is probably due to the electric power steering ,although this does "tighten up "as you go faster

My problem now with the Tucson is cabin noise Iv had new tyres fitted & this has made things a little better but the noise (road?) is still a problem ,this does alter with the road surface . has any one suffered with the same ? any advise on sound deadening would be appreciated

Tony D

• Advertisement

Hi Tony

We had a Sportage (same car as Tuscon) of the same year and it was similar, there was quite substantial road noise at motorway speeds. I'm presuming you put decent tyres on it? Cheapy tyres can be noisier. In terms of sound deadening, I don't think there is much you can do unfortunately

Advertisement