Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Z fold 2 and tethering

Options
  • 13-05-2021 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭

I currently have a phone on the 3 network and I cannot use it to tether my phone to my laptop. I don't know if the network or the phone that stops it.

Looking at getting the Z fold2 which comes unlocked. Does that mean I can tether it. Anybody have the phone or views on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Tethering on 3 is restricted via the APN rather than the phone itself.
    It's a while since I dealt with 3 or tethering in general but iirc they have multiple APNs in use and some of those APNs use TTL as a means to limit tethering.

The workaround used to be to use one of the other APNs but it is a long time since I had to undertake these workarounds and knowing 3 they have found a way to either limit or bill the APN change.

Maybe ask this question over on the midband forum?
    As it isn't an android issue IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Even though the terms disallowed it, 3 never blocked tethering, in fact they made an announcement about removing the condition in March 2020....even though they weren't enforcing it up til then.

There could be an APN setting in phone that needs tweaking.

There's 3 ways to tether on android....hotspot, Bluetooth and USB...are any of them working? Have you access to another phone to try it with the SIM?

Anyway, Samsung have a WiFi Sharing setting, it's peer to peer data sharing so that might solve any possible issue on new phone...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117115426&postcount=281

Advertisement