Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

time to move on from 48 I think .. recommendations?

Options
  • 13-05-2021 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I don’t know if it’s just me but 48’s speeds are gone absolutely brutal. My maximum download speed I've been getting lately is no more than 3mpbs. I think this is down to too much contention on the network and the fact that its an MVNO. (Mobile virtual network operator)

I think all the MVNO networks don’t have the same quality and speeds as their master networks .

I’m also missing some important calls and people can’t get through to me all the time.

I’m considering Eir or Vodafone .. the only thing with Vodafone is that they are capping their data download speeds to 10mbps.

What are your experiences in terms of speed and reliability , what would you recommend ?

Comments

I'm with 48 myself and find it ok. I was with Vodafone for years and found their network and speeds superior. But for the price you can't beat 48. I'm on the €7.99 a month plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

My 48 speed goes up to 100Mbps at times, so the problem is probably the Three signal in your area. Speeds and reliability for the other 2 networks will depend on your area. The next cheapest plans would be GoMo (eir) or Post Mobile (Vodafone) at €15/month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I went back to VF after being on the 48 €7.99 plan for a few months.

I'm on the Chat extra plan I think, free VF to VF call, unlimited texts, roaming, 100mins to any network or landline and 20gb. When the 28 days are up, any remaining data gets rolled over to the next month so you don't miss out. €20 a month with no speed caps and reliable signal and speeds, happy with that.

There's definitely cheaper plans out there but you would pay for quality of service imo. (In saying that Vodafone's online website is terrible!) Pros and cons to a lot of things, depends what you're priority is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you want Vodafone reception, go to PostMobile. Only downside is higher ping times but that should bother most people

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

dannijuno wrote: »
    I don’t know if it’s just me but 48’s speeds are gone absolutely brutal. My maximum download speed I've been getting lately is no more than 3mpbs. I think this is down to too much contention on the network and the fact that its an MVNO. (Mobile virtual network operator)

I’m considering Eir or Vodafone .. the only thing with Vodafone is that they are capping their data download speeds to 10mbps.
    Avoid all the Three based networks in your area - they will likely have the same performance as 48, as they use the same network.

If you want to avoid the throttling with Vodafone, the best deal going is €9.99pm with Eir, unlimited voice/text and 120GB, if you are in a position to bundle your mobile with fibre broadband. If you aren't able to bundle, then GoMo at at €14.99. I find the Eir network very reliable, and I haven't even bothered upgrading to 5G. The reality is you are better off on a network that has some level of capping, as it stops the service deteriorating for everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement