Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving after passing test

Options
  • 12-05-2021 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Passed my driving test a week and a half ago in Tallaght, and I am yet to have driven by myself. I only had a chance to get to NDLS and apply for my licence today.

I was informed that it could take up to 3 weeks for the licence to come as a result of current demand.

My sole worry now is if I were to get pulled over by the gards. As all I have is a receipt for the licence, on the receipt it states “The receipt is proof of payment/application only and can not be used in place of Driving Licence/Learner Permit”. I no longer have my Certificate Of Competency as the individual at the NDLS kept it (unsure whether that was an error or protocol).

Is it simply a case of I need to wait out the potential 3 weeks? Or will I get away with the receipt or is there any other solutions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shezzaholmes

You could try logging into myroadsafety.ie and seeing if your digital license has been created. You would probably be fine showing that if needed to a Guard as it's proof that the license has been issued and is simply in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

By the letter of the law no, You don't have a Driving Licence (Defined in the Road Traffic Act as an Irish Driving License or a Foreign Driving License, not a Learner Permit).

You had a sheet of paper showing that you completed a test, and that the issuing authority was satisfied that you have a satisfactory knowledge of the Rules of the Road allowing them to issue a certificate certifying that you are competent to drive any specified class or classes of mechanically propelled vehicle, being a class or classes in respect of which a certificate of competency was applied for and which the issuing authority is satisfied that the applicant is competent to drive.

(3) An application for a driving licence—

(a) shall be made to the licensing authority in whose functional area the applicant ordinarily resides,
    (b) shall be made in accordance with the relevant regulations under this Part of this Act,
    (c) shall be accompanied by any certificate of competency or fitness required under regulations under this Act,
    and (d) shall be accompanied by the excise duty payable on the taking out of a driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sdfsdfdf

Maybe call your insurance company to see what they advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know you're eager to drive but remember that failure to produce a valid licence to a Garda is an offence.
    They will ask you to produce the licence at a station if you don't have it with you but tbh you'd be gambling on the postal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 smaxx

My license took four working days to come for what it's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

NDLS are currently experiencing delays and state on their site that the note issued will suffice in the case of renewals however it doesn't deal with 1st time licences which would worry me.

I've added category A to mine and am also not technically on a full bike licence until it arrives and my insurance company will not accept the receipt as proof.

Advertisement