Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting an off-licence in Ireland

Options
  • 12-05-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi folks
    Random question, but I am tinkering with an idea regarding starting an off-license in ireland, particularly one with a heavy online presence. The idea I have is a bit different and something that I think could work for me...

Anyway, I am wondering how does one go about this in regards to drink suppliers? Who are the main distributors for alcohol that you would need to get in touch with regarding orders etc

Any info or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Thread probably more suited to this forum. Please make note of the forum charter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you got ~70k for a licence and the legal costs involved in getting one? This is not a cheap game to get in to, albeit the licence retains value so may be borrowed against usually

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

L1011 wrote: »
    Have you got ~70k for a licence and the legal costs involved in getting one? This is not a cheap game to get in to, albeit the licence retains value so may be borrowed against usually

To add to this, all the legal red tape and getting really friendly with the revenue commissioners.

Have you worked in an off-license OP? If you haven't, I'd snag a job at one for a few months first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

L1011 wrote: »

Could he not rent a rural pub and dispatch from it ?

You can get them cheap. Here one for 150 a week. But you can get cheaper
    https://www.daft.ie/commercial-property-for-rent/bohertrime-tipperary-town-co-tipperary/38023

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ted1 wrote: »
    Could he not rent a rural pub and dispatch from it ?

You can get them cheap. Here one for 150 a week. But you can get cheaper
    https://www.daft.ie/commercial-property-for-rent/bohertrime-tipperary-town-co-tipperary/38023

Been a while since I was involved but as far as I can recall, the licenses were different. A pub allows you to sell for consumption on the premises, not for sale. In other words, the drink has to be poured and/or opened when handed to the customer. For example, we were told we needed another license if we wanted to occasionally serve at a venue down the road.

I know during lockdown there were mobile bars but I think this was pretty grey legally and no one wanted to tackle it during the height of a pandemic.

Lastly, you need to be careful with licenses when purchasing a pub, it's not always included and if it is, you need to get it transferred by a judge, who can also stop it even if you own the premises. In other words, you can end up with a pub and no license.

All in all, deep pockets needed. It's not first business nor one for anyone with zero industry experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement