Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airwire down?

Options
  • 12-05-2021 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭

Airwire FTTH is pretty down for me - anyone else?

DNS lookup seems to work but web pages don't load. I sent them an email but they haven't replied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Tonio

cnocbui wrote: »

DNS lookup seems to work but web pages don't load. I sent them an email but they haven't replied.

https://twitter.com/airwire/status/1392437820132896769?s=21

Down since 11:40 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭michaelheno

cnocbui wrote: »

Ya FTTH down for me as well in Cork seems their under a ddos attack

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Yep down for me in Cork for the last hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I wish they would fix their sh*t. Ever since signing with them, the speed for connecting and loading web pages is dull. I'm currently using my 7 year old Samsung phone as a wifi hotspot, which on a a speedtest is doing 39 Mbps, and I get significantly faster page connections and loads through it than I do via a Fritzbox and a 150 Mbps FTTH connection. It's crazy.

My son has an IT degree and has tried to work out what the problem is and thinks it's down to the weirdness they do in their network/intranet, where most of your ping time is down to them routing between multiple Airwire servers in disparate geographic locations before you ever get a connection to the external web.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We are currently dealing with a DDoS for ransom attack and we're apparently not the only ISP in Ireland that has been hit.

When somebody maliciously sends 2Tbit/s network traffic into a network, that has 60 Gbit/s upstream, then that's never going to look pretty.

The majority of the traffic came through Cogent, Hurricane Electric and Microsofts networks. So we've mostly filtered these out for now.

We have taken a number of measures to mitigate this, but there will be lots of international destinations, that may be unreachable or slow, because this also would affect any outside network between us and the attacker.

As this is an issue created from the outside, there is not a lot more we can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Tonio

Back working for me since 3:15

Here we go again... Airwire FTTH is down for me - anyone else?

Router has no internet connection, ONT has no red lights; Airwire's Twitter doesn't mention any current faults.

... and they are down again for me. Anyone else? I'm getting sick of this.

Anyone else without a connection? 5-9-23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

@cnocbui mine went down overnight briefly, but back up again. However I cannot access my work email (getting a bad request) or log in to my account on specific ecommerce sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Down again this morning (co Clare). Second time in the last number of weeks.

Must start looking at other providers....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Conar

Yeah, down for me too. Looks like it might be SIRO though not just Airwire if Sky is out too.

I very recently moved to Eir. 1 Gbps for around the same price as I was paying for 150 Mbps, and no more waiting while a tech drives from Galway to Athlone because of a lightning strike, or whatever.

It's a pitty I really wanted to support the guys after hearing so much good about them on boards.

But my experience was awful.

From not getting expected speeds, outages, unanswered emails.

Mine was back just after 12pm yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've been paying Airwire for 300mbps for about 4 or 5 years, and noticed a while ago that I'm only getting about 90, sometimes less. I've emailed then three times in recent weeks to ask them if they can tell me what the problem is, and they haven't bothered getting back to me. It's interesting to read about someone else's experience with them and makes me think that I'm wasting my time putting up with them. 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm on the 100mpbs package and speeds are pretty variable at times. It's a pity their CS has gone downhill. There are cheaper alternatives that offer faster speeds, but I would rather stay put than deal with the likes of Eir etc. I was with Sky before Airwire, and the only way of canceling was by ringing them and it was a 3 hour wait on the phone if I remember rightly. Never again!

Eir are less than great in the CS area, but here's the thing, for the first year I was with them, I didn't need to contact their CS because the technical quality of the service was superb, about 2 disruptions totalling 20min in an entire year.

Previously, Airwire CS was great, but it needed to be because the technical quality of the service was iffy. The critical unattended equipment in Athlone thing is just not on IMO.

• Advertisement

It won't matter, if they come back it will be blamed on contention.

Once I moved to Eir, the contention which I knew wasn't there in the first place vanished.

I would have had no issue if they had have just been open and honest but it takes a lot to drive me to Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

I was with Airwire since 2019 and I stayed because of how great the customer service was when I signed up, they answered all my emails so promptly.

Recently I have been getting horrible packet loss at peak hours(although speeds were fine). I too emailed them and got reply.

I've now moved provider and no longer have the packet loss issue.

I think Airwire have given up and will just keep things ticking along on a shoestring budget until most customers leave.

It was always going to be a struggle for such a small provider to survive given the profit margins. The wholesale pricing from OpenEir are anti-competitive and discriminatory according to Comreg and I tend to agree.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/comreg-seeks-court-help-in-eir-wholesale-prices-probe/a479098070.html

Edit....ignore.....fault on my side

Post edited by Conar on

Advertisement