Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pcr test for school

Options
  • 12-05-2021 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi. My son is a close contact of a positive test in his school. My son is showing no symptoms so is well. He has to restrict his movements which is fine. I do not want him to have the test as he has no symptoms. Can he return to school in 14 days without showing a negative test result? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

May I ask would you allow him to have the test if he had symptoms?

Isn't it the case that asymptomatic cases are prevalent and can spread it just as easily as someone with symptoms?

The school should have given you the information in the email with all the return options that the HSE require.

14 days restricted movement should still be fine I think but am not certain.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Best to check with the HSE for the most up to date guidance, but this looks very up to date:

"If your child has been in close contact with someone else who has COVID-19 in school or childcare, you will be contacted to bring your child home. The school or childcare facility will not share the name of the person who tested positive for COVID-19.

Our contact tracing team will arrange COVID-19 testing for your child and contact you with the details. Do not ring your GP, unless your child develops symptoms."

"They can stop restricting their movements when both apply:

They have a negative test (COVID-19 not detected) 10 days after they were last in contact with the person who tested positive.
    They do not have any symptoms of COVID-19. "

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/school-and-covid-19/if-your-child-is-a-close-contact-of-covid-19-in-school.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7 snap2012

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    May I ask would you allow him to have the test if he had symptoms?

Isn't it the case that asymptomatic cases are prevalent and can spread it just as easily as someone with symptoms?

The school should have given you the information in the email with all the return options that the HSE require.

14 days restricted movement should still be fine I think but am not certain.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would get him tested if he started showing symptoms. I know in other countries you are not even tested if you have no symptoms. Plus, I'm not confident in the PCR test itself and the amount of false positive cases it produces. I don't want to contribute to case numbers if my son is well as I feel the government are using these numbers to keep us under restrictions. Also, they have found very little evidence of asymptomatic spread in studies.

So really I was going to restrict my sons movements for 14 days (even though I believe he's not a risk). But will schools accept this is my question? Thank you. 😊

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It’s not a question of what the school might accept .They are bound by HSE rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 snap2012

It’s not a question of what the school might accept .They are bound by HSE rules.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

This is correct. When a child in a school tests positive, the principal will contact HSE public health who issue guidance on how this is dealt with.

As part of this guidance all close contacts of positive cases must have a negative test result before they can return to school.

I suggest you ask the school for the contact details of whoever they are dealing with in public health and they can advise you where to go from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

snap2012 wrote: »
    Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would get him tested if he started showing symptoms. I know in other countries you are not even tested if you have no symptoms.
    Plus, I'm not confident in the PCR test itself and the amount of false positive cases it produces.
    I don't want to contribute to case numbers if my son is well as I feel the government are using these numbers to keep us under restrictions.
    Also, they have found very little evidence of asymptomatic spread in studies.

So really I was going to restrict my sons movements for 14 days (even though I believe he's not a risk). But will schools accept this is my question? Thank you. ��

Some serious, unfounded, accusations about the Government/HSE/Ireland in the above.
    Nice to see you playing onside Team ireland

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

snap2012 wrote: »
    Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would get him tested if he started showing symptoms. I know in other countries you are not even tested if you have no symptoms. Plus, I'm not confident in the PCR test itself and the amount of false positive cases it produces. I don't want to contribute to case numbers if my son is well as I feel the government are using these numbers to keep us under restrictions. Also, they have found very little evidence of asymptomatic spread in studies.

So really I was going to restrict my sons movements for 14 days (even though I believe he's not a risk). But will schools accept this is my question? Thank you. ��

Agenda exposed.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement