Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denied age restricted product with two valid I.D.'s?

Options
  • 12-05-2021 11:48am
    Site Banned Posts: 4

I'm 23 and was buying nicotine gum two days ago on Monday. I had two valid identifications (Garda age card, Irish passport) but the retail assistant still rejected them. It's the second time something like this has happened.

I've heard that the shop isn't obligated to sell anyone anything but I still do wonder, is it not a bit suspicious that they'd reject to valid forms of I.D.?

The first time this happened to me was when I was 19 and went in with my Garda age card only to buy Vodka. I was rejected as the woman didn't believe I was over 18 (constantly get told I don't look a day over 18, even at 23). She told me that the next time, I should bring my passport.

Well I did and haven't had problems in any Tesco/Supervalu except yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,206 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the person serving you is responsible if they sell tobacco or alcohol products to under 18s. For the sale of tobacco the owner of the store is also responsible even if they take no part directly in the transaction. they can be fined up to €3000 each or sentenced to up to 3 months custody. If they have any doubts they won't serve you. It isn't worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Maybe they think you’re
    using your mates - not the person in the photo!

Try signing up for a youtube/instagram account modelling agency - with those good looks and young genes you might make your fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Would this be grounds for an age discrimination case? (similar to how ethnic minority persons can sue if refused service)?

If I remember correctly, pubs are allowed to refuse entry on age grounds (as an exception to the rule) but I'm not aware of any exemption for off-licences.

athlone573 wrote: »
    Would this be grounds for an age discrimination case? (similar to how ethnic minority persons can sue if refused service)?

If I remember correctly, pubs are allowed to refuse entry on age grounds (as an exception to the rule) but I'm not aware of any exemption for off-licences.

i don't think taking a case because a shop thinks you are too young to be served will be a winner. It is illegal for them to serve somebody underage. they think the OP is underage. they are legally required not to serve them.

i don't think taking a case because a shop thinks you are too young to be served will be a winner. It is illegal for them to serve somebody underage. they think the OP is underage. they are legally required not to serve them.

Well...

I think they have an arguable case

The Equal Status Acts 2000-2018 (‘the Acts’) prohibit discrimination in the provision of goods and services, accommodation and education. They cover the nine grounds of gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.

A passport should be good proof of age.

No?

• Advertisement

Well...

I think they have an arguable case

The Equal Status Acts 2000-2018 (‘the Acts’) prohibit discrimination in the provision of goods and services, accommodation and education. They cover the nine grounds of gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.

A passport should be good proof of age.

No?

They are acting in good faith so as to comply with the law.

Be thankful, when your 75 you will look 70 and be the most popular boy in the home!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If they are trying to comply with one law by breaking another ?

A passport is bulletproof...

Strumms wrote: »

Israel doesn't agree

They are acting in good faith so as to comply with the law.

Be thankful, when your 75 you will look 70 and be the most popular boy in the home!

I think the good faith exemption only applies to intoxicating liquor?

I would love to see them bring a case just to keep the equal rights people busy.

I think the good faith exemption only applies to intoxicating liquor?

I would love to see them bring a case just to keep the equal rights people busy.

Good faith exists all over the place. Equal rights people are busy enough with the cases they have

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Only if they believe its his passport.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

OP is a banned troll, this probably never happened

L1011 wrote: »
    OP is a banned troll, this probably never happened

Isn't everything hypothetical here at the end of the day!

they're not

they're not

They are indeed, if a passport isn’t then no ID :)is and the whole system of identification can be scrapped.

They are indeed, if a passport isn’t then no ID :)is and the whole system of identification can be scrapped.

any document can be forged or altered, even a passport. Shop assistants are not trained to identify such forgeries or alterations. If there is a discrepancy between the age on a passport and how somebody looks then the assistant can choose to disregard the passport.

any document can be forged or altered, even a passport. Shop assistants are not trained to identify such forgeries or alterations. If there is a discrepancy between the age on a passport and how somebody looks then the assistant can choose to disregard the passport.

Somebody appearing younger then a stated age on a legal document is not a discrepancy.

Somebody failing to serve a person alcohol having been provided with a legal document with which to verify their age, is most certainly a discrepancy on behalf of the retailer...if id been the victim of that incompetence I’d be publishing the story on social media, two can play dirty (ish). :)

Somebody appearing younger then a stated age on a legal document is not a discrepancy.

Somebody failing to serve a person alcohol having been provided with a legal document with which to verify their age, is most certainly a discrepancy on behalf of the retailer...if id been the victim of that incompetence I’d be publishing the story on social media, two can play dirty (ish). :)
    what a childish response.

So if my "friend" had been refused A) cigarettes B) alcohol despite presenting valid identification as 20 years of age, how would they best seek recompense? How would the answer change if they were obviously non Caucasian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

hezarkani wrote: »
    I'm 23 and was buying nicotine gum two days ago on Monday. I had two valid identifications (Garda age card, Irish passport) but the retail assistant still rejected them. It's the second time something like this has happened.

I've heard that the shop isn't obligated to sell anyone anything but I still do wonder, is it not a bit suspicious that they'd reject to valid forms of I.D.?

The first time this happened to me was when I was 19 and went in with my Garda age card only to buy Vodka. I was rejected as the woman didn't believe I was over 18 (constantly get told I don't look a day over 18, even at 23). She told me that the next time, I should bring my passport.

Well I did and haven't had problems in any Tesco/Supervalu except yesterday.

Enjoy this... I used to look young for my age and told how youthful I looked... don’t hear it anymore!!!! I miss being asked for I’d!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,733 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Publish away.

You'll likely find that local retailers bar you from their shops, in order to protect their staff from having to deal with you.

So if my "friend" had been refused A) cigarettes B) alcohol despite presenting valid identification as 20 years of age, how would they best seek recompense? How would the answer change if they were obviously non Caucasian?

they can't and it wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I might have "accidentally" used my brothers passport to get into pubs when I was underage. Just because the ID is valid doesn't mean the person presenting it is old enough, especially when the picture for a 20 year old can be from when they were 15.

Advertisement