Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed Gun Query

• 11-05-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Clarification required please
    Does a garda have to stop you if they have a speed gun and find you over the limit? If not stopped do Gardai have new devices that can take a photo of your registration and speed and issue you with fine and penalty points in post?
    Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

OConie wrote: »
    Does a garda have to stop you if they have a speed gun and find you over the limit? If not stopped do Gardai have new devices that can take a photo of your registration and speed and issue you with fine and penalty points in post?
    Please help!

They never actually had to stop as they could fine the registered owner if day they got aways...

In 99% cases they will chase you down but as you said the new equipment they no longer have to.

It's been on twitter where one of a picture was placed up, they were to follow up at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭POBox19

OConie wrote: »
    Please help!

Just tell us how fast you were going!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Ask me again next week.....Me barreling past a HSE response car ambling along at 90km/h in a 100, had to accellerate to 115 to get clear (as shown on my dash cam), in time to see nice new Garda RPU Santa Fe parked just over the crest of the hill, as I attempted to decelerate back to 100km/h or less.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Ask me again next week.....Me barreling past a HSE response car ambling along at 90km/h in a 100, had to accellerate to 115 to get clear (as shown on my dash cam), in time to see nice new Garda RPU Santa Fe parked just over the crest of the hill, as I attempted to decelerate back to 100km/h or less.
    Tucson I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭POBox19

Dohvolle wrote: »

I'd say that you'll be ok, provided your tax and insurance are up to date and if there were no oncoming vehicles swerving to avoid you.

• Advertisement

Tucson I'm sure

Maybe, they all look alike when covered with dayglo decals.

POBox19 wrote: »
    I'd say that you'll be ok, provided your tax and insurance are up to date and if there were no oncoming vehicles swerving to avoid you.

I'm a good boy. One of the advantages of hybrid ownership is I can afford to tax it for 12 months now...
    Also, it was on a dualler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

In 99% cases they will chase you down but as you said the new equipment they no longer have to..

What is the new equipment?

NewRed2 wrote: »

2 new types of speed detection units....

One very similar to the old but with a colour screen, the other then is like a binoculars.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,248 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Use a speed gun and then go after speeding motorist.

Or

Tripod camera which can take photos.

That's the way is used to be I believe. Not sure about current technology. Haven't seen either of the above in years.

Basically, speed guns for show unless someone is taking the complete piss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The larger unit can take photos, but the range is limited for the photos to about 200m

For normal detection, the range is 1.2km

But the majority of new units are the binocular style as they are lightweight and very easy to manage.

115 in a 100 zone assuming good conditions won't bother most roads policing units

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

NewRed2 wrote: »

Mobility App albeit whilst it is used primarily for checking details, I've seen them on tripods checking speeds so I suppose it's possible it wasn't being used in this case as they seem to require being set up for speeding applications. As regards checking details either info inputted or scanned.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Mobility App albeit whilst it is used primarily for checking details, I've seen them on tripods checking speeds so I suppose it's possible it wasn't being used in this case as they seem to require being set up for speeding applications. As regards checking details either info inputted or scanned.

Non intercept tickets are possible on new speed gun linked with active mobility but current not be used

• Registered Users Posts: 28,311 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Where are the rules or laws about intercept and non intercept offences set out please?

Advertisement