Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected Flea Bettle Attack

Options
  • 11-05-2021 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

As the title says I think the plants in my polytunnel are under attack from flea beetle. I grew an early crop of radish and noticed they were being eaten but they still grew fine. As of the last 10 days a lot of the seedlings which are in modules have been very badly damaged, marigolds stripped of their leaves, seedling carrots gone, sunflowers also badly damaged and the first batch of tomatoes have taken a beating too. Funnily enough the cabbage seedlings haven't been touched which makes me think it's not flea beetle?

I have made up a garlic water mix and sprayed all the plants. From reading online it sounds like radish always get badly damaged by flea beetle so I suspect the radish attracted them into the polytunnel and then they got a taste for the other veg. Really need the garlic to work but I am not too hopeful. All outdoor plants look to be unaffected.

Any ideas in how to stop this damage? I want to bring the module trays back into the house for protection but am fearful that I'll just bring the problem inside where there are more tomatoes along with peppers, chillies, cucurbits and a whole host of other plants.

Advertisement