Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Best way to scrap a car?

  • 10-05-2021 5:45pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ wibber


    what is the best way to scrap a car to make the most from it. Would you break it.? It a mk5 fiesta 06. It drives good but has leaks to steering wheel fluid and radiator. It is not worth repairing but i am not giving it to someone to scrap who will repair it and make a lot on it. I have had experience before of someone who took my last car and promised to do a repair in the future in return but did not honour that.

    I would leave it rust in a field before I let these people take advantage of me, Or i might give it free to a first time learner if they could repair it.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭ Kevhog1988




  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ wibber


    Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    theyll give you a price in seconds
    It's worth more than they would give me. I am sure they would repair it and make a nice profit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,232 ✭✭✭✭ Sleeper12


    wibber wrote:
    It's worth more than they would give me. I am sure they would repair it and make a nice profit.


    All businesses make a profit. What's the problem?


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭ wonski


    So it isn't worth of repairing, you want to scrap it, but you are worried someone will repair it?

    I am confused.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭ dobman88


    wibber wrote: »
    It's worth more than they would give me. I am sure they would repair it and make a nice profit.

    What's the issue with selling it to someone who then repairs it and sells it for a profit if you're not in a position to or unwilling to do so? I dont get it.

    For scrap, just use these guys https://scrapmycar.ie/

    I've used them before, wasnt able to meet them so left my keys and log book in the car, they popped cash envelope in my letter box and I got the certificate of destruction about a week later. No issues with them.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭ User1998


    So your ok with someone scraping it but not ok with someone making a profit on it?

    And if they make a profit there somehow taking advantage of you?

    Makes loads of sense


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭ SCOOP 64


    Put a match to it op then ring the scrap yard.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭ TheRiverman


    Bring it to Hammond Lane, take whatever you are offered for it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭ MAULBROOK


    SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Put a match to it op then ring the scrap yard.

    But they might repair it and put back on the road and god forbid make a profit. :D:D:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭ doctorchopper


    Donate it to your local fire dept for training


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ wibber


    only smart asses here i can see thanking each other lol. I do not want to be taken advanatge of as i was before , most of these dealers are crooks. its no good wehni sell to them and its great when they sell to me. i caught one out poising as private seller so he didn't have to give warranty. i know another who sells cars for people but makes sure he never legally owns them so he doesn't have to warranty.but he takes a cut all cash so no tax. i won't be putting any money towards people lime them. all dealers are obliged to give a warranty of some sort under sale of good law. by never owning thmen he is not a dealer., and he thinks no one sees through him

    anyway i'm ignoring further smart comments


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko


    As said, give it to the fire department, or simply recycle it.

    This is for Galway but I'm sure there is a similar place in whatever county you're in.
    https://www.galwaycity.ie/end-of-life-vehicles


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭ dobman88


    wibber wrote: »
    only smart asses here i can see thanking each other lol. I do not want to be taken advanatge of as i was before , most of these dealers are crooks. its no good wehni sell to them and its great when they sell to me. i caught one out poising as private seller so he didn't have to give warranty. i know another who sells cars for people but makes sure he never legally owns them so he doesn't have to warranty.but he takes a cut all cash so no tax. i won't be putting any money towards people lime them. all dealers are obliged to give a warranty of some sort under sale of good law. by never owning thmen he is not a dealer., and he thinks no one sees through him

    anyway i'm ignoring further smart comments

    Are you on a wind up? I must be missing something really simple.

    What's the issue with selling it to someone who then repairs it and sells it for a profit if you're not in a position to or unwilling to do so? I dont get it.

    For scrap, just use these guys https://scrapmycar.ie/

    I've used them before, wasnt able to meet them so left my keys and log book in the car, they popped cash envelope in my letter box and I got the certificate of destruction about a week later. No issues with them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭ Buddy Bubs


    I used car take back to get rid of a 2000 Peugeot I had a few years back. They came and collected and gave me 100 euro. Certificate of destruction given too.
    A 06 Fiesta with leaking steering and radiator has no cash value to anyone no matter what you think. You asked best way to scrap a car. Put it on donedeal and see how you get on but unless you omit the problems nobody will buy it, not even to repair.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭ Kevhog1988


    Ill give you a hundred quid for it op


  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ wibber


    dobman88 wrote: »
    Are you on a wind up? I must be missing something really simple.

    What's the issue with selling it to someone who then repairs it and sells it for a profit if you're not in a position to or unwilling to do so? I dont get it.

    For scrap, just use these guys

    I've used them before, wasnt able to meet them so left my keys and log book in the car, they popped cash envelope in my letter box and I got the certificate of destruction about a week later. No issues with them.

    It's no wind up. Fed up of being cheated and lied to by back street mechanics. That is why I would not sell it to someone who would tell me it's no good but then make serious profit.

    Do the scrap guys you link always destroy it? I called a different one they said it might be repaired and sold.

    I will keep it, hopefully give it free to a new driver starting out who can get it repaired. Or else just leave it in the field. I would prefer that than give it to someone lying to me it's no good while he has plans to make money from it. You think it strange i do not want to be ripped off. Last time i gave my to- be -scrapped car to someone who promised to do a service for me in return on my replacement car. He never did.

    He also left it in my name with Shannon and when i questioned that he said it didn't matter just ingore the tax notices. Well i know it was cos he did not want it in his name because he never has any car he sells in his name. If you sell more than 5 cars a year you are a dealer and you then come under the consumer law and you are obliged to tell any buyer any faults. Private sellers are not obliged to tell any buyer any faults unless they are asked about something specific. I told him get it out of my name and he did.

    That is why I would not sell it to anyone who would profit. None of these people are anything approaching honest

    Thanks for your reply, at least you do not make fun .


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭ Oops!


    Chill out man.... It's only a 15 year old car.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ wibber


    Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Ill give you a hundred quid for it op
    how much will you sell it for?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭ dobman88


    wibber wrote: »
    It's no wind up. Fed up of being cheated and lied to by back street mechanics. That is why I would not sell it to someone who would tell me it's no good but then make serious profit.

    Do the scrap guys you link always destroy it? I called a different one they said it might be repaired and sold.

    I will keep it, hopefully give it free to a new driver starting out who can get it repaired. Or else just leave it in the field. I would prefer that than give it to someone lying to me it's no good while he has plans to make money from it. You think it strange i do not want to be ripped off. Last time i gave my to- be -scrapped car to someone who promised to do a service for me in return on my replacement car. He never did.

    He also left it in my name with Shannon and when i questioned that he said it didn't matter just ingore the tax notices. Well i know it was cos he did not want it in his name because he never has any car he sells in his name. If you sell more than 5 cars a year you are a dealer and you then come under the consumer law and you are obliged to tell any buyer any faults. Private sellers are not obliged to tell any buyer any faults unless they are asked about something specific. I told him get it out of my name and he did.

    That is why I would not sell it to anyone who would profit. None of these people are anything approaching honest

    Thanks for your reply, at least you do not make fun .

    Ok. Yes, first of all the scrap guys I linked to I found trustworthy. As I said, I left my keys and log book in the car cos I couldn't meet them, they dropped the cash in my letter box and I got a cert of destruction. No issues. Would recommend them.



    The rest of your post, I'm sorry, I just dont understand you. You've said yourself the car isnt worth fixing so I dont see the issue if someone else pays you a small amount to take it off you, fixes it at their own expense and sells it on for a profit.

    If someone wanted to give me 100 quid for a car I deemed worthless, I'd take it. Whether they sell it for a profit or rally it round a field is their business after that, not mine.

    You seem worried that someone is going to make money, small money, on this old banger.

    But yeah, contact the scrap company I recommended and they will destroy the car for you..100%


  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ wibber


    biko wrote: »
    As said, give it to the fire department, or simply recycle it.

    This is for Galway but I'm sure there is a similar place in whatever county you're in.
    Thanks for that link I missed your post till now. There must be one near me .

    What does "Under no circumstances should an authorised treatment facility charge you to take an end of life vehicle in for disposal unless some parts are already missing from the vehicle." mean.?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ wibber


    dobman88 wrote: »
    Ok. Yes, first of all the scrap guys I linked to I found trustworthy. As I said, I left my keys and log book in the car cos I couldn't meet them, they dropped the cash in my letter box and I got a cert of destruction. No issues. Would recommend them.



    The rest of your post, I'm sorry, I just dont understand you. You've said yourself the car isnt worth fixing so I dont see the issue if someone else pays you a small amount to take it off you, fixes it at their own expense and sells it on for a profit.

    If someone wanted to give me 100 quid for a car I deemed worthless, I'd take it. Whether they sell it for a profit or rally it round a field is their business after that, not mine.

    You seem worried that someone is going to make money, small money, on this old banger.

    But yeah, contact the scrap company I recommended and they will destroy the car for you..100%

    Maybe i shouldn't have said not worth fixing. I'm sure it could be fixed. Not worth to me i meant i should put the money towards a different car. I'm sure it would be worth it to some people
    You seem worried that someone is going to make money, small money, on this old banger.
    i wouldnt say banger. I have seen these go for up tp 2 K. i don't believe the seller put that much into them


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    wibber wrote: »
    Thanks for that link I missed your post till now. There must be one near me .

    What does "Under no circumstances should an authorised treatment facility charge you to take an end of life vehicle in for disposal unless some parts are already missing from the vehicle." mean.?

    If you've stripped a car to sell off bits (and scrap steel is at a low value), don't expect an ELV facility to take it off you and lose money on it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭ jj880


    Deary me. Get it fixed and sell, scrap it or sell to someone who will fix and sell. You sound like a hoarder. If you never sell anything because you're scared someone else will make a profit you must have some collection of crap lying about.


  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,133 ✭✭✭✭ Zaph


    How much are you hoping/expecting to make on the car OP? Just as an example, I scrapped my 05 car a couple of weeks ago. Before I did I rang Kilcock Car Dismantlers to see what they were paying for scrap and was told €90 per tonne. So I could have taken a chance that it would make it down there from where I am given the mechanical issue that finally made up my mind to scrap it, about a 40 minute drive, drag my wife down in her car so I could get back home and pay probably €10 in tolls on two cars for the sake of a whole 90 quid. Instead I looked on my local council's website for their approved ELV contractors, called one and they collected it a couple of days later. I didn't get any cash, but I did get a certificate of destruction before they took it away so I knew they weren't going to put it back on the road. It all depends on how badly you need the money and how valuable your time is to you I suppose.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭ bassy


    worth more burnt out


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭ Kevhog1988


    wibber wrote: »
    how much will you sell it for?

    If you sell it for a price your happy with its none of your business how much the next fella makes on it. hes taking a chance that it has serious issues etc. If youre so worried about others spinning a few pound fix it yourself and sell it


  • Administrators Posts: 49,883 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ awec


    Stick it up for auction indicating the engine needs attention. Might get lucky?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭ RINO87


    Hate to break it to you OP, but you know that recycling bin, that you pay for? Well someone is making a profit from the contents of that too, after they tell you its rubbish, and charge you to take it away!!
    Same goes for your trip to the bottle bank, all that time and energy wasted, only for someone else to make a profit......


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭ Oops!


    RINO87 wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you OP, but you know that recycling bin, that you pay for? Well someone is making a profit from the contents of that too, after they tell you its rubbish, and charge you to take it away!!
    Same goes for your trip to the bottle bank, all that time and energy wasted, only for someone else to make a profit......

    Mad isnt it how small minded some people are....


  • Advertisement
Advertisement