Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETA 2893.2/SW330 running 6 secs fast per minute!

Options
  • 10-05-2021 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, so my Steinhart GMT 500, that I only got last November decided 2 nights ago, to go go on steroids, and run 6 secs fast per minute :eek:. I've been on to Gnomon, and they've asked for me to get it demagnetized, to see if that fixes it, before going down the warranty route

Anyone know someone in the Dublin 13, 5 or North County area that might be able to do that?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

flanzer wrote: »
    Hi folks, so my Steinhart GMT 500, that I only got last November decided 2 nights ago, to go go on steroids, and run 6 secs fast per minute :eek:. I've been on to Gnomon, and they've asked for me to get it demagnetized, to see if that fixes it, before going down the warranty route

Anyone know someone in the Dublin 13, 5 or North County area that might be able to do that?

Many thanks

You can check your watch with a compass to see if it is magnetized, which is certainly a possibility if it started running fast suddenly without suffering any obvious shocks - check out https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/how-to-demagnetize-your-watch.

If it does need it you can get a demagnetizer from Amazon or Ebay quite inexpensively (€ 10 - 20), and I have heard people say you can even do it at shop tills using the device they have for removing security tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Anjobe wrote: »
    You can check your watch with a compass to see if it is magnetized, which is certainly a possibility if it started running fast suddenly without suffering any obvious shocks - check out https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/how-to-demagnetize-your-watch.

If it does need it you can get a demagnetizer from Amazon or Ebay quite inexpensively (€ 10 - 20), and I have heard people say you can even do it at shop tills using the device they have for removing security tags.

I ordered a demagnetizer anyway. But earlier, I went into Paulmar Jewellers in Sutton Cross, and he opened it up and spotted something caught on a spring, normally 'associated with a bang'. He fixed it up and now it's running spot on! Couldn't recommend him highly enough. Friendly local business, that wouldn't take my money!

Advertisement