Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford Transit

Options
  • 09-05-2021 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi All

I hope to buy a Ford Transit which has the seats removed from the rear. Can i drive it home on a B or a C Licence . ?Also its a 2005 and i will be doing it up to use as a camper. Any idea how much the VRT and change of use costs.
    Very new as you can tell any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

if the GVW is <=3500 KG, then yes you can drive it on a b licence. If it's > than that like a T420, technically you need a C licence.

As for the cost. Look around there have been many threads on this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You mention seats removed from the back, was it a minibus and if so is it still registered as a minibus? If it's got more than driver plus 8 passengers on the VLC, you'd need a D or D1 license.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

alias no.9 wrote: »
    You mention seats removed from the back, was it a minibus and if so is it still registered as a minibus? If it's got more than driver plus 8 passengers on the VLC, you'd need a D or D1 license.

You’ll also not get much of a VRT rebate when paying camper VRT like you would on a smaller bus.

Dolmen don't like buses either.

Onc upon a time one of the residents here suggested that you might have to change the VRT to Commercial then to camper to get them to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

alias no.9 wrote: »

I think D is only required if you're using the vehicle for commercial purposes, in the same way as you only need a tacho and cpc for a horsebox if you're transporting horses for profit, and not just your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I think D is only required if you're using the vehicle for commercial purposes, in the same way as you only need a tacho and cpc for a horsebox if you're transporting horses for profit, and not just your own.

You're thinking Driver CPC there, not license.

If it says on the VLC that it has seating for driver plus 9 passengers, even iv all of the seats in the back are physically removed, you need a D1 at minimum.

It's no different to a van with a MAM OF 3850KG where you need a minimum of C1 even if its empty and would weigh in at 25000KGS on the weigh bridge.

Advertisement