Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford Transit - 400,000 miles (camper conversion)

Options
  • 08-05-2021 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey everyone, I have been looking to buy a van to convert to a camper for weekend/lesiure use. I found one for 4,000 euro however it has 400,000 miles. The seller said a new engine was put in six months ago. Is the milege way to high to get any life from it? Going to veiw it tomorrow.
    No rust/looks in great condition. Any gudiance greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The first thing I saw mentioned when a transit, was rust issues..what engine does it have ? Why not just buy a purpose built camper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Transit vans are rust buckets, I would never buy one again. A few years ago test centres were given a big binder solely to show them where to look for typical dangerous rust points on Transit vans.
    As for the engine, unless there is a genuine receipt showing a Brand New engine fitted then just take it as a second hand engine with mileage unknown.
    When was the last test (CVRT / DOE) carried out, or when does it expire?

Ah now well...400k miles yeah probably rust somewhere.
    Pattern rust holes on vehicles is pretty normal, wheel arches bottom of windscreen...I'll tell you exactly where the first holes appear on any vehicle I'm used to working on.

I bet they have a bigger manual for Sprinters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

My van has 600K on it, and an engine with 140K on it. You can check out my thread if you want to see what rust was where on it.

That said, its a 12 reg ex courier van so it wasn't exactly dragging a shed around for it's lifetime.
    ?
    What year is the van you're looking at?

Advertisement