Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawson Cypress

Options
  • 08-05-2021 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I have a 40 year old, 15 metre tall Lawson Cypress, which until last winter, had been growing tightly in a triangle against two similar sized Leylandii trees. Now, with the cutting of the Leylandii, the back of the Cypress is bare with only some growth near the top. Though reluctant to cut the Cypress, which was always flourishing on its open side, I am now unsure of its future. So I am seeking some advice on whether the bare side will ever grow back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭standardg60

Short answer no.
    Long answer some of the open side growth may be encouraged to grow back in the other direction now that it's exposed to light, but it will never look good from an aesthetic sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭quodec

Thank you for the quick and informative reply Standard. Unfortunately, I thought as much! Its amazing the difference on either side of the tree though; one side green and luxuriant, the other dead and barren. Shows you the effect Leylandiis have! I think I will let it stand for the foreseeable and perhaps plant a few tall growing trees at the bare side to hide the defoliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think it is specifically leylandii - anything blocking growth will cause the same situation. I have a tight group of 3 or 4 conifers (can't recall offhand what they are) and they are only 'live' on the outside - they look like one, rather attractive, big tree - all the inside is 'dead' looking.

Advertisement