Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goodbye sky

• 08-05-2021 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭

After paying sky for years, I am thinking of ditching them. It’s a nice ‘handy’ service.

What I need is

Ability to record tv programmes.
    Ability to pause and rewind etc.
    The Irish channels and a few basic others like BBC etc, maybe discovery and kids.
    That’s about it really.

Current service I have is sky+

I often hear talk of combi boxes, not entirely sure what they are.

Would a combi box allow me to get Irish and English channels and record and pause etc?

Does it have a clunky interface?
    What is the cost?

Where does it connect to, broadband or my old sky dish scenario? (Do sky remove this when you cancel the service?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I have already done this, see my thread here. The only issue you might have is that the Tiviar is now quite long in the tooth, and I'm not aware of any similar prebuilt images. If you're any way technically minded, it's not too hard to set up yourself. I've also provided info on how to migrate my setup to something like the H7s, if you're of a mind.

If you're not into technology, and have no one to give you a dig out, I'd stay away. (That is unless someone is in a position to make a preconfigured image available, for the newer boxes.) In that case, the various options discussed here, based on Saorview and Freesat, are far inferior to the Sky option. I'm referring specifically to usability.

To answer some of your specific questions:

A combi box allows you to get Irish and English channels.

The ability to record and pause etc., varies; depending on what you buy.
    How good the interface is, and how clunky to use, also depends on what you buy.
    Some options require two boxes and a switch between two EPG's.
    These options were thrown out by my other half, when I tried to leave Sky, years ago.

The cost varies from around €200 for a decent box, with recording capabilities.

Combo boxes require an aerial and satellite connection. As a starting point your old Sky+ satellite connection should be fine. Sky leave the dish, when you leave. Solutions such as the one I have, also require a connection to broadband, to get all the capabilities I describe.

Advertisement