Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike - Upgrading ChainRings (Techie Advise Needed)

Options
  • 08-05-2021 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Built up new bike from components onto a new frame.. The Ultegra crank that came with the groupset is a 50/34, too small for me. Want to upgrade to a 52/39 so am looking at just changing the chain rings - easiest option.

Bike will be running Di2, so i can tell it i'm on a 52/39 to recalibrate shifting and gearing...

I know that there are "suggested pairings" for chain rings; MA, MB, MD based on ring sizes. 53/39 being MD, 52/36 being MB. See link below.

https://www.bike24.com/p293274.html

Question is, can i run a 52/39. i.e. mixing the MD and MB rings. Bolt circle seems same. I don't "think" there would be an issue, just don't want to shell out and find they won't work.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Yes you can. Shimano reccomend 16 teeth or less of a difference between big and small chain rings so 52-39 is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

Thanks Daroxtar..

No issue with the MD/MB carry on?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Shouldnt be distance between chainrings are same so shifting isnt affected if anything better because there is less of a jump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

First dibs on your 50/34 rings if you're selling them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

First dibs on your 50/34 rings if you're selling them ;)

Yep, you're first in line... Soon as i get them installed i'll let you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

First dibs if youre selling your old frame and its a 56cm ;)
    Also would love to see pictures of your build

Advertisement