Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

New Bike - Upgrading ChainRings (Techie Advise Needed)

• 08-05-2021 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ TontoMurphy

Hi guys,

Built up new bike from components onto a new frame.. The Ultegra crank that came with the groupset is a 50/34, too small for me. Want to upgrade to a 52/39 so am looking at just changing the chain rings - easiest option.

Bike will be running Di2, so i can tell it i'm on a 52/39 to recalibrate shifting and gearing...

I know that there are "suggested pairings" for chain rings; MA, MB, MD based on ring sizes. 53/39 being MD, 52/36 being MB. See link below.

https://www.bike24.com/p293274.html

Question is, can i run a 52/39. i.e. mixing the MD and MB rings. Bolt circle seems same. I don't "think" there would be an issue, just don't want to shell out and find they won't work.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭ Daroxtar

Yes you can. Shimano reccomend 16 teeth or less of a difference between big and small chain rings so 52-39 is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ TontoMurphy

Thanks Daroxtar..

No issue with the MD/MB carry on?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ Tony04

Shouldnt be distance between chainrings are same so shifting isnt affected if anything better because there is less of a jump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭ Paul Kiernan

First dibs on your 50/34 rings if you're selling them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ TontoMurphy

First dibs on your 50/34 rings if you're selling them ;)

Yep, you're first in line... Soon as i get them installed i'll let you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ Tony04

First dibs if youre selling your old frame and its a 56cm ;)
    Also would love to see pictures of your build

Advertisement