Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TT and Road Bike question

Options
  • 08-05-2021 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey all. I've seen a lot of TT bikes on adverts and donedeal and the prices seem very good for the components but I would never be using for TT or triathlon, just road biking. Is it possible to buy one and take the TT bars off an put a road handlebar on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Possible yes - but geometry is different so it is unlikely to be comfortable (although I've seen road bikes converted to TT bikes so maybe you would be converting back), and when you add new bars, shifters, saddle I'd question why you wouldn't just buy a road bike

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eamonn4711

Possible yes - but geometry is different so it is unlikely to be comfortable (although I've seen road bikes converted to TT bikes so maybe you would be converting back), and when you add new bars, shifters, saddle I'd question why you wouldn't just buy a road bike

I was just wondering is it a big job. Some of the components on those bikes for the price being asked were extremely good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It's not a big job, it can made to look like a road bike without too much effort, but a TT bike is not a road bike with TT handlebars so no point really

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The gearing may not be suitable as many TT bikes are set up for relativey flat rides. Pointless getting a bike with a lowest gearing of 42/21 if you're heading for the mountains.

Just get a standard road bike.

Advertisement