Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocra S7 Open Water Swim Wetsuit for complete open water beginner?

• 07-05-2021 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I only learnt to swim with Total Immersion 2 years ago. I have swum only in the pool up until now, but want to transfer to open water. I'm hoping to get some lessons. The Open Water Swim teacher recommended the Ocra S7, but my daughter who is a beach lifeguard, says they're a waste of money, and any 3mm core and 2mm legs wetsuit will do - is this true before I spend 229 euros? Would welcome any advice on buying a wetsuit for complete beginner.

Comments

I am an experienced open water swimmer, and bought the Orca S7 in 2018.
    Have used it to swim close to 150km and find it to be a good wetsuit.

It really depends on what you're hoping to do. If you're planning to do a little bit of sea swimming, and the purpose of the wetsuit is to provide some additional security/buoyancy, then you would probably be fine with a cheaper wetsuit

If you plan is to start building up distance in the sea, then I would recommend the S7. The thickness is not the only variable. With a good wetsuit, you'll find it much easier to have a smooth, consistent stroke. Your shoulders and hips will notice the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Good discussion on new wet suits here.

I'm a relatively inexperienced open water swimmer and bought myself a new S7 recently. I think its great, and it has enabled my swimming to develop quicker than I had expected. I try and swim 3 times a week.

You can see from the linked thread above however that one poster sent his back because of fit. When I first tried it on I thought it would never fit, but the key for me was putting it on right. Lots of advice to say that fit is everything in a new suit and it always makes sense to try one on. I bought mine online with no problems.

Advertisement