Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free fishing Sites in Cork city River Lee or in Cork County

Options
  • 07-05-2021 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi Dear,

I am a complete beginner at angling and bought a spinning rod and reel.
    just wondering if I can fish in the cork river lee mostly in the city center area without license and permission or west to the east side of the Cork area.
    I have no intention of angling salmon or sea trout which requires buying a license.
    for me it is just for fun, catch and release.
    can you name some prohibited area in the city center that I can not angle, please name restricted area, like private-owned river things like that I don't really understand? permission from the owner to get angling?
    it would be helpful, informative for beginner fishers, as I said there is not much information on the internet.

Thanks a Million for your contribution

Comments

Good luck figuring it out

https://fishinginireland.info/regulations/

But the Lee fields is a free fishery- just comply with the regs.

https://fishinginireland.info/salmon/southwest/lee/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭con747

Your best bet would be asking one of the fishing shops in the city where to go. They should know places you might not know about.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭tugii20

Good luck figuring it out

https://fishinginireland.info/regulations/

But the Lee fields is a free fishery- just comply with the regs.

https://fishinginireland.info/salmon/southwest/lee/

are there any other spots like lee fields?
    are you talking about near Kingsley hotel?

tugii20 wrote: »
    are there any other spots like lee fields?
    are you talking about near Kingsley hotel?

Yup, it's not a private fishery, just comply with the regs.

It's tidal from there down.

Yup, it's not a private fishery, just comply with the regs.

It's tidal from there down.
    like what regulations?you mean like no live bait and no more than 2 rods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭con747

like what regulations?you mean like no live bait and no more than 2 rods?

The regulations link was posted above.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

can I free fishing in Cobh? is Cobh water is river water or sea water?
    like sea fishing?
    angling from onshore is free but where in cork can I go to catch some sea fishing free? closest?
    like Carrigaline or somewhere?

The Lee Fields area is approximately 1.2km west of Wellington Bridge on the south bank.
    what is starting point until what point?

The Lee Fields area is approximately 1.2km west of Wellington Bridge on the south bank.
    what is starting point until what point?

Read the link!

http://www.leesalmonanglers.ie/fisheries/4581665239

from the Kingsley wier up to end of the park, then it's Lee fishing club.
    (I'm not sure are bridges exempt, so Leemount at Anglers rest *might* be OK.

Lot of mackerel fishing off the piers in Cobh, and all by Passage/Monkstown.

is a high low rig allowed? using the single barbless hook?
    also, bloodworm, is it classified as a worm?

• Advertisement

is a high low rig allowed? using the single barbless hook?
    also, bloodworm, is it classified as a worm?

For inland, doubt it, for sea be grand
    AFAIK, you can use bloodworm.
    Give inland fisheries Ireland a shout

the message below came from the fisheries of Ireland.ie

Fishing in the sea is always free, unless you want to catch salmon or sea trout, then a licence is needed.

Most of the better rivers and a lot of the lakes requires permits to fish.

Exceptions include Lough Allua, Curraghlickey Lake and some tributaries of the Lee like the Shournagh, Martin and Owenageragh. There is also free fishing in the Dripsey, and south Bride(where is south bridge?). Please note that permission from local landowners is advised before crossing lands.

The lakes have coarse fish and pike, the rivers small trout.

You can download an angling guide to fishing in Cork and Kerry which you will find useful

· Angling Guide to Ireland’s South West (6.91 MB)

There is free fishing on both the North and South bank marked in red(where is marked in red located??//), upstream from these marks is either club or private fishing, below the blue line(weir) at the downstream side is free as well but is strictly single barbless hooks only below the weir. No license is needed unless fishing for Salmon in these areas.

The majority of the fishing along the Lower Lee is for trout or salmon, although some coarse fish and pike are present. On the north bank, the grotto marked on the map would have the easiest access and parking.

If you are after coarse fish and pike I would recommend fishing the two Lee reservoirs (8km upstream), its €30 for a season permit, €10 for a daily permit or €15 for a weekly permit. https://permits.fishinginireland.info/product-category/permits-cork-and-kerry/lee-reservoirs/

the message below came from the fisheries of Ireland.ie

Fishing in the sea is always free, unless you want to catch salmon or sea trout, then a licence is needed.

Most of the better rivers and a lot of the lakes requires permits to fish.

Exceptions include Lough Allua, Curraghlickey Lake and some tributaries of the Lee like the Shournagh, Martin and Owenageragh. There is also free fishing in the Dripsey, and south Bride(where is south bridge?). Please note that permission from local landowners is advised before crossing lands.

The lakes have coarse fish and pike, the rivers small trout.

You can download an angling guide to fishing in Cork and Kerry which you will find useful

· Angling Guide to Ireland’s South West (6.91 MB)

There is free fishing on both the North and South bank marked in red(where is marked in red located??//), upstream from these marks is either club or private fishing, below the blue line(weir) at the downstream side is free as well but is strictly single barbless hooks only below the weir. No license is needed unless fishing for Salmon in these areas.

The majority of the fishing along the Lower Lee is for trout or salmon, although some coarse fish and pike are present. On the north bank, the grotto marked on the map would have the easiest access and parking.

If you are after coarse fish and pike I would recommend fishing the two Lee reservoirs (8km upstream), its €30 for a season permit, €10 for a daily permit or €15 for a weekly permit. https://permits.fishinginireland.info/product-category/permits-cork-and-kerry/lee-reservoirs/

South Bride is out by Crookstown/ Kilumney, enters Lee at Ovens

Advertisement