Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber cladding - alternative to western cedar

Options
  • 06-05-2021 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I’m looking at putting up some timber cladding along a wall in my garden. I love the architectural look it gives.

It looks great at the start, but I really don’t like how it silvers over time. Is there:
    A. A way to preserve or treat the wood to keep it looking fresh.
    B. Choose an alternative timber which won’t silver. I would prefer to keep a natural look and not stain it, but if it’s the only way to keep it looking fresh then so be it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Siberian Larch seems to be the new cedar and I do like the look of it. However I went cheap as chips when cladding over my garden walls. Obtained treated 4 x 1 and 2 x 1 from local builder provider as per photos. Probably red deal which is a softwood so not as tough perhaps as cedar. When colour fades a little I will give it a coat or 2 of textrol oil.
    Cedar colour can be maintained with annual treatment. Loads of timber cladding suppliers out there and prices are on the increase. Do a search on DIY forum as this is a very popular topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Not connected in any way, just follow them on Insta. qeh.ie.See attached which I believe is the Siberian Larch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Microshades is nice for this application.

If you oil the wood regularly, it should maintain it's natural finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

colm_c wrote: »
    Microshades is nice for this application.

If you oil the wood regularly, it should maintain it's natural finish.

Ok thanks for this

Siberian Larch seems to be the new cedar and I do like the look of it. However I went cheap as chips when cladding over my garden walls. Obtained treated 4 x 1 and 2 x 1 from local builder provider as per photos. Probably red deal which is a softwood so not as tough perhaps as cedar. When colour fades a little I will give it a coat or 2 of textrol oil.
    Cedar colour can be maintained with annual treatment. Loads of timber cladding suppliers out there and prices are on the increase. Do a search on DIY forum as this is a very popular topic.

Looks very good thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Also if it does fade Netrol will help bring it back ready for a coat of whatever you prefer.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Also if it does fade Netrol will help bring it back ready for a coat of whatever you prefer.

Have you used this stuff? Did it work as good as the photos suggest?

awec wrote: »
    Have you used this stuff? Did it work as good as the photos suggest?

Not used it in a while but it certainly does work. Trouble is its bl00dy expensive. Also a bit more work than they suggest.

I do it by hand rather than using a pressure washer as you can easily do a lot of damage to the surface if you get to zealous pressure washiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

Wanted similar on a larch beam outside...i like the fresh look and didn’t want it greying. Local paint shop recommended textrol. It didn’t change the colour when it went on but only on a couple of months so can’t say too much on durability

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

This is Microshades I coat it with textrol every couple of years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

xl500 wrote: »

Looks great IMO, how long have you got it?

Nice job, is that Siberian larch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I've use osmo oil on larch and its super.

Thats probably the down side to textrol, while its easy to apply and looks after the wood very well you do really need to redo it every couple of years unless you want to spend time on preparation with netrol cleaning it all up.

You don't however need to use so much on subsequent coats.

colm_c wrote: »
    Looks great IMO, how long have you got it?

About 5 year's as I say I coat with textrol I use a small roller and can coat it in jig time

Nice job, is that Siberian larch?

No its just timber that has been treated by the microshades system supposed to be way better than pressure treated but it should be its expensive

I got it here

https://cloneesawmills.ie/trellis/

Just dragging this up again. I can get treated planed-all-over timber from goodwins

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/treated-planed-timber-44-x-31mm-5-1m-2x1-5-17ft-1301851t.html

It will cost me around €250 for for the timber 10m2 and probably €80 for the 2.5l of preserver.

Should cost me €33 per sq metre and I can’t see why that timber wouldn’t do the job as it’s treated and is planed all over.

Any thoughts on why that wouldn’t work?

Preservative is cheaper than that but you'll probably want more than you think. Any dry softwood soaks it up.

Get a 5 liter of Clear Protim 265 (€25?) if you can and treat all the end grain and all the uprights that go against the wall (it really will extend their life even if the timber is already treated). Then just flood the joints with whats left.

Timber is sort of a bit chunky for my taste but will do the job fine.

Preservative is cheaper than that but you'll probably want more than you think. Any dry softwood soaks it up.

Get a 5 liter of Clear Protim 265 (€25?) if you can and treat all the end grain and all the uprights that go against the wall (it really will extend their life even if the timber is already treated). Then just flood the joints with whats left.

Timber is sort of a bit chunky for my taste but will do the job fine.

Yes agree, I would like the timber to be half the thickness but I will see what i will have a look at a sample first. Thanks for tip on preservatives. I also have to cost for stainless steel screws

I think with the thickness of your material you will have to experiment to get the best look from it. Maybe a tighter or wider spacing will look better but you'll have to try them to see how they looks to you.

• Advertisement

You can beat a good before and after photo :)

Advertisement