Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Domestic Gate - Advice Needed!

  • 06-05-2021 4:48pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 29 RedPete


    Hi Folks,


    Hoping I can pick your brain and get some ideas or recommendations (apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong section)!


    I am planning to get a gate for my driveway supplied and fitted later this year. I am on a relatively tight budget but hoping for something contemporary (e.g. steel or galvanised frame with PVC).
    The driveway entrance measures roughly 3.8M wide x 1M tall.



    My preferred option would be an electric sliding gate. I have had just one quotation so far and it has been way over budget (~€7.5K including electrics, intercom and fobs/remotes).
    I wanted to see from your experience if this is the norm or if there are companies out there that offer better value?
    Alternatively I would welcome any ideas for alternatives to electric sliding gates that might achieve the same goals without the same cost.



    Thanks
    Pete


    P.S.: The main reason is for privacy as there tend to be a lot of callers to the house based on my location.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,926 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52


    the new PSA regs have driven up the price of gates so just get it done.
    will 1 meter keep them out?


  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭ landcrzr


    A swinging gate or a pair of swinging gates will probably be much cheaper but they're incredibly difficult to make safe vs a sliding gate. Sliding gates, when done properly, take up a lot of room and are ugly to look at.
    If you're set on a powered gate, don't prioritise the cheapest, get someone that knows what they're doing. I can't emphasise this enough, these things have killed people.
    Most gates can be opened by calling a number on your phone but this is a bad idea. You'll easily get into the habit of calling the gate a few hundred m from home so it's open when you get there. Problem is if someone gets trapped, usually a child, you're not there to switch it off.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,926 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52


    landcrzr wrote: »
    A swinging gate or a pair of swinging gates will probably be much cheaper but they're incredibly difficult to make safe vs a sliding gate. Sliding gates, when done properly, take up a lot of room and are ugly to look at.
    If you're set on a powered gate, don't prioritise the cheapest, get someone that knows what they're doing. I can't emphasise this enough, these things have killed people.
    Most gates can be opened by calling a number on your phone but this is a bad idea. You'll easily get into the habit of calling the gate a few hundred m from home so it's open when you get there. Problem is if someone gets trapped, usually a child, you're not there to switch it off.
    .

    I suggest you read
    https://www.psa-gov.ie/psa-60-information-note-on-automatic-gates/
    and
    https://www.psa-gov.ie/hsa-guidelines-on-the-safety-of-powered-gates/


  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ ec_pc


    Price seems extremely expensive compared to what I paid for this year - a larger sliding galavanised (and then painted gate) with PVC panels, electric motor, 5 fobs, and a 7 inch monitor intercom, plus intercom connects to internet. We had the electric cable + intercom cable already laid to the gate.

    I went by recommendation and actually didn't shop around really in the end as his price was within my budget and 2 people recommended him. Only afterwards did I google some companies in Dublin and the prices were eye watering. For example I saw some companies charging €50 for an extra fob - I got 3 extra ones for nothing! Definitely difference of Dublin v non Dublin prices and we are only based in Kildare.

    There seems to be a lot of demand for gates, since we had ours installed we have had 2 callers from the local area looking for the installers details. We live in a semi rural area about 2 k from the town.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,926 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52


    ec_pc wrote: »
    Price seems extremely expensive compared to what I paid for this year - a larger sliding galavanised (and then painted gate) with PVC panels, electric motor, 5 fobs, and a 7 inch monitor intercom, plus intercom connects to internet. We had the electric cable + intercom cable already laid to the gate.

    I went by recommendation and actually didn't shop around really in the end as his price was within my budget and 2 people recommended him. Only afterwards did I google some companies in Dublin and the prices were eye watering. For example I saw some companies charging €50 for an extra fob - I got 3 extra ones for nothing! Definitely difference of Dublin v non Dublin prices and we are only based in Kildare.

    There seems to be a lot of demand for gates, since we had ours installed we have had 2 callers from the local area looking for the installers details. We live in a semi rural area about 2 k from the town.

    Did he comply with the PSA requirements


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,534 ✭✭✭✭ the_syco


    RedPete wrote: »
    P.S.: The main reason is for privacy as there tend to be a lot of callers to the house based on my location.
    If it's only going to be one meter tall, maybe try to ensure you get "nice looking" maple or birch tops, to deter people trying to hop over, whilst still looking nice :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ ec_pc


    Did he comply with the PSA requirements

    Yes, fully registered and insured with PSA and has registration number etc. Also checked this before calling him. With 2 younger children this was an important consideration and the gate complies with the PSA guidelines.


  • Registered Users Posts: 29 RedPete


    ec_pc wrote: »
    Price seems extremely expensive compared to what I paid for this year - a larger sliding galavanised (and then painted gate) with PVC panels, electric motor, 5 fobs, and a 7 inch monitor intercom, plus intercom connects to internet. We had the electric cable + intercom cable already laid to the gate.

    I went by recommendation and actually didn't shop around really in the end as his price was within my budget and 2 people recommended him. Only afterwards did I google some companies in Dublin and the prices were eye watering. For example I saw some companies charging €50 for an extra fob - I got 3 extra ones for nothing! Definitely difference of Dublin v non Dublin prices and we are only based in Kildare.

    There seems to be a lot of demand for gates, since we had ours installed we have had 2 callers from the local area looking for the installers details. We live in a semi rural area about 2 k from the town.

    Thanks for the advice, would you please send me a private message with the name of the company?


  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ ec_pc


    pm sent


  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ eusap


    ec_pc wrote: »
    Price seems extremely expensive compared to what I paid for this year - a larger sliding galavanised (and then painted gate) with PVC panels, electric motor, 5 fobs, and a 7 inch monitor intercom, plus intercom connects to internet. We had the electric cable + intercom cable already laid to the gate.

    I went by recommendation and actually didn't shop around really in the end as his price was within my budget and 2 people recommended him. Only afterwards did I google some companies in Dublin and the prices were eye watering. For example I saw some companies charging €50 for an extra fob - I got 3 extra ones for nothing! Definitely difference of Dublin v non Dublin prices and we are only based in Kildare.

    There seems to be a lot of demand for gates, since we had ours installed we have had 2 callers from the local area looking for the installers details. We live in a semi rural area about 2 k from the town.

    can you PM name?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ kavanaa1


    Hi @RedPete could you please PM me the name of your gate installer too please. I am getting quotes around 8k for swinging or sliding wood cladding automatic gates. Crazy. I'm in Kildare too.

    Thanks a lot



Advertisement